dove decoys?

Tom Modin

any dimensions to go by or just draw out and carve what I feel? Have a project that requires me to do several dove decoys by the end of July. Need to get started ASAP. Have been sketching some out but not sure on my sizes.

Thanks

From "Game Bird Carving" by Burk....

Overall length-11.87

Wingspan-17.25

Body ----Length-9.75 Width-2.62 Height-2.5

Head Width-.81

Lifesize measurements. Hope that helps.

Ryan's numbers look good to me. I try to make them between 11 and 12 inches in normal sitting and walking positions. I think the hardest part on doves is getting the head the right proportion to the body, it's smaller then what you think if you've been dealing with duck heads for a while.

This reminds me I need to find a dove pattern I've misplaced.

Tim

This is for a special dealio so I will have to make it look good. I am sure many have heard about the F5 tornado that went through Joplin, Mo. Well a fella on a Mo. hunting board had the idea of packing a bunch of gear and getting donations to go to Joplin to cook for people. In less than a week he organized a group of guys with a lot of food to cook and cooked for first responders, ER crews, FEMA, EOS and people of Joplin for two weeks. He was down there from the start to the end when the manpower ran out to keep it going. The guys that worked down there and some others wanted to give him something special and contacted me. Since I know him and his love for dove shooting I thought a rig of 4 dove decoys in a wood box to carry out and shoot over would be appropriate. I have not carved a dove decoy or anything close to it, being a junk-man decoy carver. So any help will be appreciated.

Back