duck calls

i am new at duck hunting and i am just not sure what i am donig when it comes to calling i have an old faulks call and i know it is no good i cant get a very good sound out of it and i am wanting to learn to call i am wondering what kind of call i should get and how the heck to learn how to call if anyone has any imput or good call suggestions or even some good calls for sale please i will take all the advice i can get

Personally I LOVE my Zink Calls PH-2. The Polycarbonate (plastic) is ok, but I have the acrylic and the sound is awsome. It has great raspy low end that I like, while still able to get loud high ball and come-back calls. it has quick response for a great feeding chuckle. It's also an easy call to use. I will say it will stick every once in a while, but a quick hard blow backwards in the call and your good the go. Then again I haven't found a call that has the sound I like, that doesn't stick. It's more expensive than some others, but I tink it's worth it.

Cody,

I would recommend getting a double reed call. IMO they tend to be eaiser for newbies to learn to blow. A double reed is harder to over blow. As far as to what brand to get, that sometimes becomes a Ford vs. Chevy thing. I personally really like Rich N Tone calls, thats just me. There is a guy in either Indiana or Ohio named Kelly Gadus. He makes a great call too, very reasonable on price. And there are a few guys right here on this page that make very nice calls too. I'll let them pitch themselves.

As far as learning how to make sounds, the thing to remember is, every basic sound you will make from a duck call are all based on being able to make a simple "quack". Everything else is built off of that quack sound. The one HUGE mistake I see newbies make is they cut the air going into the call, off with their throat/lungs/gut. The air going into the call should be cut off using your tongue against the roof of your mouth, next to where your front teeth meet the roof of your mouth. Sounds should cut off quickly and cleanly. The best advice I can give you is to find someone locally who sounds like you'd like to sound on a duck call and have them help you. Also, go to a local park or some place with ducks and listen to them. Break down the calls they make and remember it's all based on the quack.

Hope this helps....

Jeff

Im 14 and just got the Echo Diamondwood/Timber call (the 50$ one) a month ago and that one sounds pretty good (to me anyways) it was definately a step up from the 10$ and 20$ calls I started with. That call is a good all around call - its quiet wen you want to be and somewhat loud wen you want to be too.

Cody

I always liked a raspier call when I was getting started, don't have a particular model to recomend, but thought with the raspier calls, I could make a duck like sound without trying too hard. I also am not extremely agressive in calling...like many tools, the call is often over used and many guys would benifit from leaving it at home. This season I upgraded to a Dave Larson call...upgrade is an understatement, this is a "BIG BOY'S" call:

IMG_20111111_213614.jpg

I think Dave carved it from two separate tree trunks.
(the little call is my goose call)

Best
Chuck

do you think i could get some contact info i am really interested in having one made i think i am not sure would like more imput on the subject thanks guys so far for the info

Go to the member directory (click on 'Who's online' at the top). Send a PM to Dave Shady Larsen (or is it Larson...don't remember other than he says everyone gets it wrong). Other call turners on ths site include MLBob Furia, Shawn Hollis and Eric Patterson. I know there are others, but my memory is slipping. I enjoy having a log around my neck made by a friend I made here as much or more than blowing it.

Best of luck

Chuck

Try a Bob Furia call - you can contact him on this forum - I just got one and it is the easiest call to blow I have ever owned, they are acrylic and $40.00 shipped to your door -

This is a call I got from ebay from a company called let- em-lite calls. Its a turned acrylic call with a double reed. It has a real nice sound and easy to blow. As far as acrylic calls go this one is as cheap as you will find $35 shipped. As far as learning to call I went on you tube and found some step by step videos on calling. It has helped me a lot this call also has neat engravings on it. Hope this helps.
[Inline 20111103145359.jpg]

View attachment 20111103145359.jpg

I'm a big RNT fan, though I don't have any acrylics, all wood for me. Don't forget your mallard drake call from duck commander, works like a charm late season and on calm days.

i like my echo timber call, double reed and very easy to learn on. watch the videos to learn how to make the sounds but then go out one day and just listen to the ducks to learn their cadence, volume, and inflection. this will give you an edge compared to the guy who blows the call the same way as everyone else.

oh Chuck as a fan of dry humor i like the picture swap but from the short time knowing you i see you as a different dictator, maybe Mao or Mussolini, but definetly not Stalin

A great starter duck call is the Haydel DR-85 Mallard call about 20.00 but sounds very good and is easy to blow.
Mike

A good caller can call with any call, it's not about the call brand when learning how to call. It's about learning how to call.
Buy some DVD or tapes. I would put my money on instructional info. That faulks call has brought in a number of ducks.
I keep a $3.00 call in the car just to pass time I would not leave my $100 calls in the car.
Once you get good then you will see a difference in calls.

Back