East Coast roll call.....Check in when you can.

Ed L.

Supporter
I imagine everyone is taking stock of the last couple of days. Growing up on the Mississippi River I've been through my share of floods. Even had to rebuild the house once. Last time I talked to my kids in Brooklyn was around 10:00pm eastern last night. Can't make contact this morning.

Here. Gloucester got hammered. Good flooding just about everywhere with a historic high tide at the peak of the storm. Trees down and lots of debris. Still no power. Was able to take a warm shower with whatever was left in the tank.

No fun, but we're safe and sound.

Nate

It's good to hear some are able to get online.

I finally made contact with my daugther-in-law a while ago. She's 7 months preganant. Glad she not farther along. I see where the hospital she's headed for evac'd last night when the storm surge put 12' of water in the basement and shut down the generators.

What a monster storm. Everyone hang in there.

North Central CT dodged the bullet. We only lost power for a few minutes, but the town is reporting 1/3 of the town is out. Checked with family, both girls are good w/ power, as is mom, but my sister outside of Boston had a tree come down across her house. I'll add pictures if I get any.

Hope to hear from the guys closer to the shore.

Scott

My house in Sandwich Ma, (northwestern part of cape) did not see any damage at all. I never even lost power, which is highly unusual. Some tidal flooding, beach erosion issues and power outages but everything is getting back to normal very quickly.

I think the bulk of the impacts were further south in NYC, New Jersey and CT... Hope everyone is OK in that area!

Jim O

Power and internet went out at 2 yesterday afternoon. Lots of wind, not the rain that was forecasted though which was good. 1 in 4 houses are out of power in York county, obviously some towns are higher than others with the outages. Not sure how the coastline faired but here's the Marine forecast for today and tomorrow.

ANZ154-310345-
CAPE ELIZABETH ME TO MERRIMACK RIVER MA OUT TO 25 NM-
942 AM EDT TUE OCT 30 2012
... GALE WARNING IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT ...
25.gif

REST OF TODAY... SE WINDS 20 TO 25 KT...DIMINISHING TO 15 TO 20 KT THIS AFTERNOON. GUSTS UP TO 35 KT. SEAS 11 TO 16 FT...SUBSIDING TO 10 TO 14 FT THIS AFTERNOON. PATCHY FOG LATE THIS MORNING. A CHANCE OF TSTMS. RAIN LATE THIS MORNING...THEN SHOWERS THIS AFTERNOON. VSBY VARIABLE TO LESS THAN ONE QUARTER NM.
25.gif

TONIGHT... SE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT...BECOMING 10 TO 20 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 9 TO 13 FT. WIDESPREAD SHOWERS. PATCHY FOG. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.
25.gif

WED... SE WINDS AROUND 15 KT. SEAS 8 TO 11 FT. PATCHY FOG IN THE MORNING. WIDESPREAD SHOWERS...MAINLY IN THE MORNING. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.
25.gif

WED NIGHT... S WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT.

I faired very well in Northern Virginia. We were south of the center, though still had some really high winds. I had rolled up the windows and doors of my tent shelters for my duckboat, and boat shop and let the wind/rain blow right through. Everything is fine, though a little damp right now. Never lost power, though it flickered some. Just leaves, twigs and limbs down in my yard. Nothing that requires a saw.

Thinking about the NJ, LI, and CT guys, they took a beating again. My Dad in Allentown, PA got hit hard, no power and some big trees down around him, but not in his yard.

Be safe everyone during the clean up....

Still here. Actually, never got too bad. Still lots of traffic lights out, but most of my family still has power and the flooding has been minimal. Drove to my office at the head of the Bush River (high tide is just hitting) and the water level is still several feet below the parking lots.

This is all kind of unbelievable since once the eye of that storm hit NJ, it made a hard left toward my house (Harford County in the NE corner of MD). All in all, very lucky...

Just outside of Philadelphia there are trees and telephone poles snapped on numerous roads. I drove into center city Philadelphia through west Philadelphia this morning to meet my daughter without any problem. I should have come back that way. It is practically impossible to get from the expressway back to my apartment. Wires down everywhere. No sign of any repair crews yet.

A friend reports that Wilmington De is seeing high water, and route 13 in the city was closed earlier this afternoon due to flooding.

Most businesses have been closed Monday and Tuesday.

We made out great in town (Portland , central Ct.) no power outage or cable. We got lucky, other towns next to ours lost power. Did not see that much damage on my way into work today down by us.
Pete

My girlfriend and I evacuated to right outside philly and we had high wind and rain but not to bad. I am trying to get back home but the Atlantic City Expressway is closed from exit 5 down. No one in or out of the islands till at least tomorrow afternoon. This was a bad one. I saw pictures of sharks swimming in the streets of atlantic city. Hope every else is safe. Most of the shore towns don't have power not sure when it will come back on. Stay safe.

We just got phone service back we probably wont have power until thursday friday. Im on my smartphone. It was windy here and it wasnt that bad but almost everytime a tree fell on a wire it snapped a pole.

Pete im done with my home work seeing as theres not much to do. Electricity party at your house?

Chris,
I was going to give you a call and see if you wanted the generator ,but my son came down and grabbed it. If you want to come up and carve give me a call. Maybe I can even con Carol into cooking for us. If you need anything give me a call.
Pete

Nothing in the Adirondacks. BUT, all my relatives down on Long Island are without power still. My mother came up here for higher ground. She lives on the water on the east end of Long Island and snuck out up here to dodge the high water. The house made it with just a little flooding in the yard. Lots of others were not as lucky. I think there was lots of flooding from high water. NYC is real bad.....
Hope everybody is ok.
-

Just some breeze and rain in Central Maine. Wind dropped and most of the rain was done by noon today. We never lost power.

I relaunched the sculler and hunted this afternoon hoping to catch the last of the breeze still moving some ducks, but by the time I got down to my hunting area it was flat calm. Lots of ducks sitting in big rafts, but not many flying around. Two of us were skunked on a 2 hour hunt--never pulled a trigger.

Fairfield County in Connecticut got hammered. Trees ,poles and powerlines down everywhere. 11foot tidal surge at high tide flooded shorefront areas. It's going take awhile to get back to normal. But getting through unharmed is a huge blessing.

Ok Here, some tree's down and need to do some repairs to the house but all present and accounted for. No phone or internet but power is on.

I know Mike Braden has been without power for awhile. His area got hit pretty hard.

Getting reports from family on the coast, in areas it is devastated. Tuckerton and LBI area looks like a game of pick up sticks with boats thrown in :>(

Last edited:
We're here in Monmouth county. No damage thankfully but no power. Insane flooding in the area last night. Devastation in low lying areas... The ocean met the river in Sea Bright. Boats and houses in the river floating around.

Got back to my mothers house in somers point this aftternoon I went for a little drive there are boats off to the side of roads chunks of floating docks on the marsh and in peoples yards. There was a jet ski in the middle of the road. Its a mess.

Anyone heard from Capt. John? I know that area got hit pretty hard. Hope he is ok and the clean up isn't too bad for him.

Back