Eider Decoy

PeteRenzi

Who makes a really good Eider Decoy? I have hunted Delaware for a long time.. But recently have seen some Eiders.. They would not come to my scoter decoys.. So Oh course I need a few Eider decoys.. Something big! ..

Tough to find good ones for a decent price.

Carry-lite/Sport-plast make an ok one. You can always run herters or repaint some older dekes. Anything white should draw them in.

Good luck!

Knutsons has them . Made by Sportplast. A cheap decoy, takes a lot of abuse and gets the job done. Eiders arent the smartest duck in the world

you out by the icebreakers?
We would see them occasionally when gunning for scoters.
Are you llooking for cork, wood plastics? There is quite a difference in the pricing structure between them.
Good to hear we are beginning to see more coot down this way.

It's all a matter of what your willing to except. Plastic, wood or cork.

Get some white in the rig. All the above suggestions are good. Try a couple of clorox bottles if your fustrated and in a pinch.

It is intersting that the eiders are working there way this far south. I always thought of them as a New England bird.

The other thing you need to find out where there feeding. You will light them up.

Best of luck to you

Phil

Well the cost isn't that important.. I want something rugged and heavy is okay.. plastic just doesn't seem to move natural out in the rough sea.. I wil try some of your suggestions. I have hunted sea ducks for a long time.. I have never seen an Eider in Delaware until this year.. Maybe I am going farther out? LOL ...

Could always get some cheap used magnum/super magnum mallards and repaint them!

I use herters decoys and then restle coat or burlap them. The model 92 goose bodies with Toledo decoy eider heads make a nice big eider decoy. Getting herters is going to get tougher now that they aren't making them anymore.

I've been using Quack decoy's since 1976!! "INDESTRUCTABLE!!" Stiil have the originals and I'm rough on my gear!! Just bought another 36 scoter jumbo mags. Call Kenny Gagnon at Quack ,mention my name if you want!!
Good Luck

Great looking decoys Lou. That hen is awesome!

Troy/Bill,
Thanks much for the compliments, greatly appreciated. I painted this Eider pair for a fella out West who was giving them to a couple he knows and it was to be their wedding present. The newly wed couple were very pleased with the present. Now, that's a wedding present that can be put to use and will always........fit. :)
Lou

Back