Electric trolling motor for 14-15 foot boat?

Jeff Reardon

Supporter
Question for the group:

If I were looking to replace my 3.5 hp 2 stroke with an electric trolling motor, what kind/size of motor would I want?

Background: I would use this on two different boats--a 14' Lowe deep v where it would serve as a trolling motor only. (The boat has a 15HP motor that I love, but it pushes the boat too fast even at idle for trolling.) I'd also use in on 15 foot MMB sculler, which is the primary reason I am thinking of this.

My hunting out of the sculler is mostly within about a mile of where I keep the boat. On a typical day I might run 2 miles, maybe 3 miles max.

My biggest concern is draft. The area I hunt has abundant shallow mud with rice and other vegetation combined with big tides. If the electric motor drafts more than my gas one does, it might be near useless for the shallows--which is about 75% of the area I am interested in getting to.

I also wonder whether a light weight battery would be sufficient to get me the running time I want on the days I run far. My walk to the boat is short, but very steep over rough ground. Carrying a heavy battery all the time won't be much fun.

But I really like the idea of a quiet approach and not having to keep a can of gas to refill the ridiculously small gas tank on my little Tohatsu.

Thoughts?

Jeff,

One thing to think about. The shafts on the trolling motors are long. To get the handle to a comfortable level for you would mean that the prop would be way below the boat and dragging/hanging you up. You can easily raise it up but then it will likely be uncomfortable to run it for any period of time. Many people have cut the shaft but I didn't like that idea so I just delt with having to reach up high to throttle/steer.

A decent marine deep cycle will cost at least $100 and they are heavy. Hauling that through the woods will be a pain in the ass. I used one to push my fatboy and I too had a steep bank to get back up to the road. Not fun hauling that batt.

The 46lb thrust would push my fatboy (11ft.x4ft flat bottom fully loaded) 4-5mph consistent for about 4 miles.

I recently purchased a Torqeedo electric motor. It's German made. Cost roughly $2k but, it's good to go in bodies of water where gas engines are not allowed. Mark my words, this will become a new trend as everyone gets more "environmentally Green friendly". I put it on my Momarsh Fatboy DP and added the extended tiller. It's fast as hell. It's 3 hp. I'll never have to spend a dime on gas, or be bothered with gas tanks. Check it out, it's awesome. It's light and the battery last for 6 hours. It's a lithium ion. The whole motor is 3 pieces and takes apart very easily. It comes in (2) shaft sizes that will probably help you. I went with the longer one. You would probably want the short shaft. Google "torqeedo". Good luck.

Thanks guys. Ryan confirms my concerns about weight and shaft length. The Torqeedos look interesting, but $2k is not in the budget. Maybe in a few years there will be some competition and that technology will get cheaper.

You can cut down the shaft of a trolling motor to the desired length with care. You can move the control box on a a tiller motor out of the motor and operate it remotely, again with care and skill. I did this with a 30 Minn Kota Edura on my Kara, which is a 14 foot boat. That boat went 4.5 mph and had a range of 2 miles with a 110 amp hour battery.

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/edaskew/sneakboat2.html

Ed.

Touche on the sculling comment. Unfortunately, I'm still learning to scull. My boat does have oarlocks, and it rows quite well. I definitely am considering just going to no motor--but I'm middle aged and lazy, so looking at other options, too!

Jeff,

Don't back down! Sculling against wind and tide or river current can take a long time to get back or to set up another run. My favorite scull was at the mouth of the CT River on an out going tide. May be lazy but, a 3 mile run with current, simply maintaining steerage on a river two miles across is sweet. Multiple runs still provided new birds and if icy (the best), you are simply keeping up with the flows looking natural. Sculling back up river, 3 miles against the current would cost me half the tide or better.

View attachment 2kingscull.jpg

I like using the Nissan 3.5 on my floats.

Scott

Back