Electronic Dog Collars

Hey all,

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Pudelpointer in two weeks.

I have a question in regards to electronic collars. I think I will eventually use one, probably not until he is around one or so. Anyhow, do you guys recommend one brand or model over another? I know nothing about these collars and want some advice before I invest the money. Also, if any of you have one for sale, let me know.

I'll post some pics of the pup when he arrives.

Thanks!

Brian Glock

I'm a fan of the Dogtra brand collars.

The BIGGEST thing to remember when using these tools is that they are a CORRECTION tool NOT a TEACHING tool. I would wait until the little dog is at least 6 mos of age before introducing the collar. Read Butch Goodwins book. Its top knotch when it comes to training the retrieving breeds.

tritronics gets my vote. having owned and used about everything, I'll never buy or use anything but at this point.

One of the sport models would do everything a normal guy would want. travis

I'm on my second tritronics sport. The first one lasted over 5 years and I think had I chosen another service center besides the collar clinic I might still be using it. Sent the unit in to get the transmitter fixed and when I got it back the receiver no longer worked. Bought another one and it is working fine. There are fancier units and pros that train multiple dogs make use of the higher end models but the average joe can get a lot of use from one of the little sport jobs.

I have only used Tritronics but have been VERY happy with it. Had one problem and they took care of me in a very professional manner. The transmitter is a bit bulky but that helps me keep track of it, not like my cell phone that can get lost in a big pocket.

I am also on my second Tritronics collar. The first being a sport and the second a pro series. I really like the sport series but wanted to upgrade to a two dog system with better range.. I actually prefer the remote on the sport systems. The pro series remotes are a bit bulky.

My first collar was a small Inotek that was always getting lost and was so flimsy it just broke. That was 14 years ago, I'm sure they have improved their product since then, but I wouldn't know since I switched to Tritronics I haven't had a problem. I have a Pro 500 which I use always, but I still have and old LR-200 and a Judge which still work. I had to send the LR-200 in for a new battery after about ten years but that is pretty good long life.

Most people I know use Tritronics or Dogtra and like them both. The Tritronics transmitter is a little bulky but hell for stout. I either have mine in my hand or it fits nicely in the back pocket of my jeans.

I am a Dogtra fan. I have Dogtra collars, releases, bark collars, etc and have had good sucess with them.

I've had a couple of different brands trying to save some money etc. Everyone kept saying "try this kind its as good as Tritronincs". I finally got Tritronics and now I wouldn't use anything else. I have Field 90, Bark Limiters, and G3 remote winger electronics. By the way, I would not wait till 1 year of age to start using. If you are not experienced using an e-collar in training then you may want to find a training partner that does have experience. Anyone can buy one but not everyone knows how to use them.

Back