Emergency repairs, are you prepared?

This mishap if you can imagine is on a much larger boat ,My dad worked on the canadian icebreakers and they where up near resolute when the ice stove in the side of her and produced a very large gash below the water line...

Resolute has quite a history. If anyone is interested in a great adventure story, read the story of Resolute, Canada and how it was named and what artifact was given to the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Resolute_%281850%29

John I appreciate your feeling of need to get to the hospital to be with your daughter, but you almost created another even more serious emergency trying to respond to the first one. It seems you were in more danger than she was. It's unlikely family are going to be able to contribute much once they know their loved ones are headed to or are already in the hospital. As hard as it may be, slow down at that point, leave things in the hands of the professionals, and get there as soon as you can safely.

Ed.

Ed,

While I understand and agree with your view to some extent, let me just remind you that in a BBSB, full throttle is still not fast. The area I was in is very shallow and I could have waded all the way back to a road where I cound make it to the mainland. If I thought for one minute that the boat would sink in deeper water than I could stand in, I would not have tried making the run. I would have put on my drysuit, made the same tempory repair and waited until the USCG picked me up.
The area I was in is one of the areas of salt marsh that is very shallow and with chest wader on I could walk through the water all the way back it would just take longer to get there.
I do not advise anyone try what I did unless they are left with no other options. The point of this post was to get an example out there that might be helpful to someone when the poo-poo hits the fan.
I expected to get some flack for this post but if it helps even one person I think it's worth it.

Ok John, my bad. I see "Long Island" down there and I am thinking the Atlantic Ocean in the winter. I'm thinking this guy is nuts. I've seen a couple of tragedies occur in the past when family members have been in a rush to get to the hospital to see their relative, and then were killed in auto accidents on the way. Family members will only be spectators when they do get there. We will do what needs to be done, without written consent if necessary. We will call you and get phone consent (not a bad idea to call, and leave your contact information), if not possible we will just declare an emergency and do whatever is needed. Just sent a guy home today, who was out of it when he came in, and we had to talk to his family who were in the U.K. repeatedly to get consent. It was not a problem. Folks should take a deep breath, and slow down when they hear about their love one being brought to or already at the hospital. I trust your daughter is OK.

Merry Christmas,

Ed.

Back