epoxy mixing & rollers

john a

hey guys
how do most of you all go about mixing epoxy and fillers such as wood flour
do you mix it into the resin and then add the hardner or mix resin and hardner
and the add fillers

also when you get ready to put the cloth matt on what type of roller should you use
thanks for the help

Last edited:
hey guys
how do most of you all go about mixing epoxy and fillers such as wood flour
do you mix it into the resin and then add the hardner or mix resin and hardner
and the add fillers

thanks for the help

Mix your epoxy up and only then add fillers, not the other way around.

T

what i like to do is mix up my batch of epoxy and hardener first then put in my filler material, i dont know if you can put it in with the resin then add hardener cause i've never tried it

Yes as tod said mix your epoxy and hardener really well first then add the wood flour and mix well again you want it thick like peanut butter I grabed paint mixers from the hardware store they work well for mixing. Keep a roll of paper towls handy too.

thanks guys i got my order from US COMPOSITS on thurs and had some last sanding to do
this morning and the after that primed my pumps and made a batch wetted out a small area on the deck
seams,screw holes ,cracks,knots etc, waited for it to tack up and made a small batch with wood flour
and filled all the wetted out areas

all i can say if this works its not hard at all working with epoxy
i was a little scared at 1st but man its not hard at all
anyway going to head back out and check it

thanks again for all the help form all you guys

John, just be aware that your pumps are less accurate for small batches. I prefer a digital scale for accurate small batch mixing, but you need to check on the mix ratio maybe different by weight than by volume. RAKA is 2:1 by voluem, and 100:47 by weight, I don't know about US Composites.

pumps i got from US COMPOSITS are equal ratio and must be mix at 3 pumps resin
to 1 pump hardner so that was my test batch and will be the as small of a batch i will be
making anyway

but i do not think they want you to mix smaller amounts as i have no weight s for small batchs

but thanks for trhe heads up dave

Yes john the smallest batch you can do for us composites is a 4oz batch 3oz resin and 1oz hardener it works well unless you need a very small amount then you can waste a lot

Chris has it right, mixing by weight gives you more options when it comes to how much you want to mix. I have a digital scale and can mix an ounce if I wanted. My epoxy is 100:25 so the ration is real simple. Also, ditto on mixing resin and hardener before adding thickening agents.

Good luck!

I have mixed oz batches with several different companies without any issues. Even as little as 15ml batches that hardened and are still holding. Clear plastic medication cups work well esp. if you pay attention to the meniscus you have no issues

If you get some plastic syringes, you can cut the end off and put marks for 3 units and 1 units. Add the epoxy to up to the 3 unit mark and top off the 1 unit with hardener for small jobs. Tip from West System Epoxy. Be careful not to mix your epoxy and additive in a big batch, it can heat-up get chunky from the large volume before you use it all. You can spread it out in a pie tin to reduce the volume so it does not heat-up while you are working with it.

Back