Estate Steel Shot

Dwight F.

Hi Guys,
anyone shoot Estate Steel Shot? I see our local Runnings store carries it both in 12 and 20 gauge.
I'm not a fan of the xpert steel or sportsman steel shot and see Estate runs a little less in price.
Thanks!

I do. I liked em through my 20 gauge as well as any other manufacturer I've shot through it. It's a little dirtier as I recall, but I didn't have issues with it with birds within 35 yards.

Dani

Like Dani I use some 20ga. I use it for pheasants on land where only non-tox can be used. It worked fine for pheasants inside 35 yards. I just grabbed a few boxes to try because the Winchester dry-loks I had used before were priced crazy. For the cost I think they are as good as any other steel. I shoot xperts in 12ga so my idea of what's good may be skewed. :)

My brother has had good luck with some of the fiocchi steel. Sometimes that can be found for less then some of the bigger name brands.

Tim

Last edited:
I had some #7 steel in 20 ga. I used for Sora rails. It killed the rails real dead, if I did my part but it's not like that's hard to do . . . . . . Those #7 steel loads are hard to find, so I take what I can get. It's not pretty when you center a pattern of 6's on the rails.

Great and thanks for the input. I'll pick up a couple boxes and see how they pattern. The wads in the xpert steel loads seemed brittle. I always found them on the ground with peddles broken off them. Thats really the only reason I disliked them but they did kill birds.

I used to, went through ~4 case of 3" 1 1/4oz, #3 and #4s back when Able Ammo had them cheap.
Worked very well for me, especially the #3s, which seem to pattern very well in my gun in the 1 1/4 oz load.
I now use Federals from Rogers Outdoors in the same load, with same good results..

I previously did. But it really didn't pattern well for me.

Same experience I had. I never would of patterned it if the ducks had dropped better. I know experts are loaded with pellets that look like something off the welding shop floor. However, I have had great luck killing ducks with the experts I shot.

I picked up a couple boxes for my sons 20 and my 12. I'll pattern them and see how they shoot. I picked up #3's as they are my favorite marsh load.
Thanks for the reply's!

Back