Favorite Brand of Goose Calls

Bill Saunders Traffic...you cannot go wrong. Once you break in the tone board it'll go from high pitched cackler and snow all the way down to local giants.

Tim Ground's Guides Best Flute (this call is high pitched and cuts the wind well), Mike Weller Flute (good for open fields with moderate wind), or Charles Briskey Flute (good for small field or timber on the rivers where echoing is a problem), are my favorites.

Flutes are now considered old school and while they are more difficult to operate than a short reed, they continue to deliver, as well as giving a unique series of sounds when used in conjunction with your buddies and their short reeds.

Ive got a Big River flute call and a Buck Gardner Canada Hammer II (short reed) - the Flute call is about the easiest blowing call i hav ever tried, has a really nice tone too... the canada hammer took some getting used to, and it has a naturally high pitched sound... hope this helped!

Not an east coast hunter but I believe the Knight and Hale Double Cluck plus is the call I would recommend...There is not a single note that can't be blown...Hunted with mine for 25 years....Lost it this year coming back from Canada...Next call to buy is that call and a Triple Crown Tim Grounds Call..

Regards,

Kristan

I hunt snows late winter along Delaware Bay, and the best call I have ever found, after some instruction by a local master, is a Big River flute style call(it is really for Canada's). You only blow the high note and need to get a cadence going on it, not too fast, not too slow. You cup one hand around the end and use the otherat kind of a right angle against the open end of the first hand. It works like a charm. I really don't know if it would work elsewhere, as our hunting conditions are pretty unique for snow geese. The idea is to get between two rafting flocks that sit along the bay shore or just back in the marsh a little ways and set up between them. You don't need a lot of decoys but calling makes a big difference. We get trading small flocks, singles, doubles, etc, and they will come to the call and a few decoys(I use a dozen floaters for ease, but twice that would be better). I don't hunt them in fields, only in the marsh and preferably over water, but I will sometimes use the call to get them close pass shooting off some of the local dikes if ice or weather keep me out of the water. About 30 bucks.

Back