Finding Leaks in Neoprene Waders

Eric Patterson

Staff member
I don't know what is going on with wader manufacturers but the quality has tanked in my best estimation. I rarely get a season out of a pair before they start leaking, usually in the crotch. One of the frustrating things is patching them, more specifically finding the actual source of the leak. Unlike rubber waders leaks aren't so easy to find since light does not find its way through neoprene even when there is a hole. Tonight while trying to patch some waders my hunting partner, Nic, and I rediscovered an age old technique that worked great.

If you ever get a leak in a tire one of the thigs they will do is inflate it and spray sudsy water and look for bubbles. We took that same concept and applied it to neoprene waders. After unsuccessfully trying to use an air hose to inflate my waders (leaked air and pressure too great) we turned our attention to the lower air pressure created by putting a vacuum hose on the discharge side. It worked beautifully. We stuffed the hose down in the waders and tied the top like a gym back with a piece of cord. it leaked but the vacuum was able to keep up and maintain pressure adequate to force air through leaks. Once inflated and air pressure stable I spayed the areas thought to e leaking with a 50/50 mix of dawn and water. It immediately began to bubble. With the hard part of locating the leak I patched holes with a 1000 denier patch and aqua-seal. I think this will get me a few more seasons out of a pair of waders.

Pressured up.

Looking for leaks.

Foaming at the crotch pinpoint leak source.

Try it. You'll save a few bucks and hunt warmer and drier.

Eric,

You should have asked,,,,,,,,,,,, us old timers and fellow cheapskates, have been using this procedure for years. :>) :>) Yes it works extremely well for finding the source of water intrusion.

BTW a little air leakage around the pressure hose is a good thing. It only take a few minimal amount of pressure to find the leaks. Too much pressure can pull the stitching right thru the neoprene.

I recognize that brand of wader.... for me they have been generally disappointing on all levels.

I like the looks of the tip. My stomach turns every time I don't throw those away because <50 uses seems just a bit early for that much money to be ineffective :)

Yeah, neoprenes can be a major pain. I find there are always very small, I mean very small leaks in them that are always hard to find. A couple years back I went out and purchased a pair of breathables and find these to be much better in terms of leakage. It usually takes a real hole for these to leak and these holes, for me, are easier to find then minor leakage through neoprenes.

When it gets cold, I just throw on a pair of fleece lined hunting pants underneath and found I can hunt comfortably down to about 15 deg. Below that and the neoprenes come out.

Too me, much more comfortable and leak free. Maybe something to consider.

Mark W

Buy the Cabelas 1600. They are strong as an ox. They are expensive ($259 or $269 for the "stout" version) I wear the stout ones. If you ever have an issue, Cabelas will replace them with a new pair; even several years later.

Bill,

Unless they changed it back again, Cabelas changed their warrantee on waders a few years ago. I 'think' it's 90 days now or maybe even more but not lifetime anymore. Too many people abusing it.

Edit: Just checked on Cabelas web site and it looks like the Cabelas brand footwear is indeed guaranteed for life. Good to know.

Last edited:
I tried the hose several years ago and made the wader worst.
Now I fill the bathtub with cold water. Put on the waders when the waders leak I then mark them from the inside when they dry I add aqua seal to the outside.

A real easy way... is to put them on... go into cold water...

My LST Drake wader seem to have a slow leak in the crotch... So... I have that going for me....

Buy the Cabelas 1600. They are strong as an ox. They are expensive ($259 or $269 for the "stout" version) I wear the stout ones. If you ever have an issue, Cabelas will replace them with a new pair; even several years later.

I was just making the comment today in the blind I'm on my 6th year wearing Cabelas 1600's. I quite happy with mine. Like you said they are expensive buy seem to be worth it.

Pete-
A good buddy of mine spoke with Cabellas last evening regarding returning a pair that are leaking that are 3+ years old and they told him to UPS them back to Cabelas for a new replacement pair.

I just ordered a brand new pair of the 1600 series last night in size 10 and they are back ordered until approximately December 22nd. When I originally bought them 2 seasons ago, I bought a pair of 11's and my feet slip out when they get stuck in the mud. I actually fell in the water on Saturday morning while hunting with Bill F. from this site. Needless to say, everyone had a good laugh at my expense. Fortunately, the Sitka Boreal jacket kept me dry due to the gaskets on the sleeves. Highly recommend this jacket. My body remained dry except for the outside of the sleeves of the jacket. It made me realize that you don't size up when it comes to waders.

Eric,
Are those the new Cabelas waders? I was planning on buying them before this season but decided to try and get one more year out of mine and let Cabelas produce those for another year and hopefully find the flaws.
I agree that neoprene quality is quite horrible. I truly think the only good thing to do anymore is buy the Cabelas brand AND purchase the extended warranty and return when they start to leak. A $40 program to replace a $300 pair of waders is well worth it.

I just took my 1600 cabelas back and was told they are pro rated so they would only give me a 1/4 of cost that was at the hamburg pa store so no lifetime here last time I deal with them

I ripped my breathable a few weeks ago in Maryland got back to jersey stitched it up with dental floss and used goop on the front and back multiple layers this was a giant hole 3 to 4 inches across the thigh area. They are holding strong after one hunt

I just took my 1600 cabelas back and was told they are pro rated so they would only give me a 1/4 of cost that was at the hamburg pa store so no lifetime here last time I deal with them

Yes, it is a real mess with Cabelas. It depends on who you are and who you talk to. I've never returned a pair of waders to Cabelas, because I've generally had good luck and I feel that the way I hunt that after a couple seasons that I would not return them AND I wouldn't return them for a simple leak unless they leaked out of the box. A leak is a maintaince item (unless the seam fails).

If you are a card member they will take just about any return if you ship to NE. The stores want to pro-rate because it must affect their bottom line.

The warranty is lifetime of the product, so if you wear it out the lifetime is over. If they fail due to materials before worn out they will replace. They look at the condition. I called about a Cabelas brand pair of boots that the sole cracked on and the lady was a total bitch. We argued about how long boots should last and about what the lifetime of a pair of boots should be(I said if they have been maintained and the soles have life they are still alive , she said 2 years). She finally said that because I was a signature black card member that they would give me a new pair no matter what. They look up your return history, I know that for a fact. She said that I hadn't returned anything in 42 months (or something like that). I told her have a nice day. I refuse to abuse their policy, but if they sell something that breaks and can't be fixed leaving me with nothing before I think the lifetime is up I'll return. I'll not expect them to eat a pair of waders that aqua seal will fix.

I agree todd if you wear them out these are just in their second season and the seams are leaking in both legs I did wear out another pair of 1600s and bought these because the first pair were good I am hard on waders but when you pay good money I expect more from them

No they won't, the lifetime warranty on Cabelas brand waders is now 1 year. I was on the phone with their customer service this morning due to leaky seams. The best they would offer me was to send them in "for evaluation" no guarantee of replacement or credit towards new... The customer service lady couldn't even tell me when it would be completed. All she could tell me was that I was responsible for shipping to get them back for eval and no one that did the evaluation was available to speak to me to answer my questions.

Last edited:
Back