First Duck(s)

Paul "Pablo" Britton

Lizzie and I practiced with her shotgun (Carles Daley youth 20ga.) a couple of times this summer/fall. She was a little intimidated by the recoil. This week, she decided she wanted to get her license and try for her first duck.

Today started with a cup of coffee for me and hot coco for her. At 0540, we jumped in the truck with Angel-dog and headed out to our blind-on-the-slough.
An hour later, we were making our nest in the blind and waiting for shooting time. The air was full of sounds: the wind though the trees, widgeon whistles, wood duck squeals and the buzzing quack of gadwall.

For 20 minutes, the birds dumped into our slough, blazing in front of the blind and landing 60 yards beyond. We were waiting for an easy shot for her first attempt on a live target.
The flights died down and then, 20 minutes after sunrise, an unannounced trio of gadwall swooped down and splashed 30 yards in front of the blind.
After several minutes of Liz adjusting position to see beyond the brush, get her grip right, my coaching and coaxing, etc, Liz finally decided to take her first duck. The ducks sat together through all our discussion and her fidgeting and fussing about. Really she was just working up the courage to face the recoil. Angel and I waited.

The dog could see the ducks, and I was ready for a backup shot. Liz was trying to line up a drake..... BOOM! I stood up to shoot a flushing drake, but there was none.
Three gadwall lay on the water, 35 yards from the blind. One raised his head and started to swim away, and I fired my only shot of the day.
Angel happily retrieved two drake and one hen gadwall. We high-fived and hugged and then sat and talked for a bit before we picked up and came back home. She doesn't really remember if the gun kicked much or not.

First.jpg

FIRST!

Team.jpg

The Team

Leaving.jpg

Picking up

Tell her congratulations!
And make sure she understands that trippling with one shot is not the norm!

Very cool.
I have had the opportunity to be along on several first hunts with child and parent. Its always a great time.

Tell your daughter congrats on her first birds.

Tell her congratulations!
And make sure she understands that trippling with one shot is not the norm!

Her first duck hunt was 5 years ago on the same slough. She sat on a bench against a big cypress tree and watched as I fired a tripple shot salute to a blue wing teal. As it flew off, she looked at me and with the sweetest voice asked: "Daddy, HOW could you MISS that!?" She's been on limit hunts and no duck hunts. I'm doing my best to teach her the value of the experience.

Very cool, getting out with the young ones makes it fun. Congratulations on a fun hunt

Bill V

Too Cool. Congrats to Lizzie for the trio and you Paul for getting her out in the blind.

Congratulate Lizzie for me and enjoy this time with your daughter while it last. I have three daughters and only one hunts. She does not go with me as much anymore because it's not as cool as it used to be. I think her friends have a little something to do with the cool factor. So enjoy her company as long as you can while it's still cool to hunt with Dad.

Congratulations Lizzie on your success.....

My granddaughter is named Elizabeth Sophie and we call her Lizzy.....wonder if she will hunt?...she is 3, so it will be awhile if she does..

Matt

What a great start in your career of duck hunting, Lizzie. Those are some dandy pictures. Nice looking blind. Your duck slough looks like a gaddie spot.
Al

Back