Flats boat for duck boat?

Dave Sharpe

Anyone using or have any experience using a flats boat (bonefish poling style not flat bottomed jon boat) for duck hunting? Experiences, advice please. Thanks

I use a Gheenoe type boat. It is a flats type boat and very stable. USCG approved for a 5 hp motor, lentgh is 13 ft long, not very wide at the top but the thing is very low profile for a pole/canoe cross. I posted a link sometime back. They are relatively lightweight and cost 700.00 out the door. They have been in buisness for over 25 yrs because the one I have is at least that old. It handles 2 an a dog easy.

I've seen Gheenoes but never been in one. Is it stable enough to stand up and shoot in it? Do you know what the 13 footer weighs? Might be the car topper I've been looking for.

My original question though is about the use of a typical flats skiff for duck hunting. Looking for a dual purpose boat to replace my old Sears Gamefisher. Stu Apte told me I might see bonefish ( I have) from it but they wouldn't open their mouths because of the tri hull hull slap. So far they haven't. Though I'm not sure it's just the hull slap. But I have shot about a thousand ducks outta her.

Back