Folding Jon Boat

Ron Simmons

Does anyone remember a company that made a folding jon boat. It was basicly 2 7' boats hinged together. You openned it and pinned the halves open to use it. I think it may have been called a Clam. I was explaining to a buddy the other night and he looked at me like I had 3 heads, but I know we had a dealer here in the area at one time. Please tell me that my mind is not gone and that someone else remembers these things. Thanks

The one I saw was actually an aluminum flat bottom, when folded up it looked just like a big box. I've seen pictures somewhere of the same desing but made out of wood.

Carl, that is exactly the concept only this one was an aluminum jon boat style. Thanks for the responses guys, at least I know I'm not crazy.

The boat you were talking about was more than likely a 14' flat bottom aluminum jon boat. The boat was called Watersnake and was made in Manchester KY from 1986 to 1989, a friend of mine along with one of his brothers and some friends manufactured the boat. One of the so called friends stole the money from the company's bank account forcing it to close after three years of business. Everyone involved had already maxed out their resources and was unable to reopen. After 25 years we have decided to attempt to revive the boat and they can be seen at www.sheltoweeboatcompany.com , our old name was taken and is now on a inflatable boat.

Last edited:
Back