Follow up to the Rickshaw report....

Ed L.

Supporter
I decided the Ricksahw motor and the Momarsh Fatboy needed a real test so off tto the Marsh we went. The Marsh is still "green" and is being pumped to hunting depth. There are a number of conditions that put the motor to it's test today. The weeds are still thick but the motor chugged along just fine for the most part. I did intentionally run into some thick stuff in real shallow water to see how far it would go before bogging down. As you would imagine it didn't take long at all. You'll see me in the first video getting stuck about half way though.

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r282/ejlydic/?action=view&current=Stuck.flv

The marsh is called Princeton Marsh and is pumped to a depth of around 3ft for duck season. It's probably pushing 2 1/2 to 3 ft right now in the open slough areas and probably 1 1/2 to 2 feet closer to the tree line you can see in the videos as a pan the camera.

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r282/ejlydic/?action=view&current=duckwart_weeds.flv

I saw some good numbers of Woodies today and a smatering of Blue Wings and a few local Mallards.

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r282/ejlydic/?action=view&current=Picture210.flv

Again I'm really impressed with this little motor but we'll see how it runs thought the season. It has a centrifical clutch to engage the prop which I really like for a safety feature unlike a direct drive prop that is always spinning. Right now the marsh is real weedy and does have an effect on the prop. As it wears it will begin to slip but as the season gets colder and the weeds die out for the season and the surface drive guys get the paths cut I don't see me having any issues with this motor.

Take care,

Ed L.

Cool beans Ed. Sure beats the snot out of a trolling motor for power. That can of gas will take you further than three batteries would for sure. Only problem was I couldn't see the GPS screen from the camera angle you were using. Next time you show us your spot, do something about that camera angle ,won't you please?

My biggest question is how is it going to perform with alot of weight a boat? Decoys, guns, dogs, etc...? Don't forget the fat guy in waders too.

Dave...that's the one thing I haven't invested in yet. I'd like to have a nice little hand held GPS but until then I'm still drawing pictures on my lunch sack! You just have to come over and let me show you.....hehe

Take care,

Ed L.

Matt,

Good question! I'm a solo hunter and pack light. I usually carry one gun, 2 dozen duck decoys, 4 floater geese decoys and one sentry goose decoy that sets on the bow. One plastic ammo box that that pulls double duty as a lunch box. My battery for the running lights is the size of the battery used in a spinning wing decoy only 12v. Small anchor, small fire extingusher, one gallon of fuel, push pole, break down kayak paddle and a boat cushion round out my gear. I guess I'll find out Saturday morning but I imagine it'll still going to be better than walking....;-)

Take care,

Ed L.

Sure looks cool Ed. I assume you've hunted this area before. How would an electric trolling motor or a small gas outboard have worked in the same stuff you went through with the Rickshaw?

Looks like a nice place to hunt

Ed,

Thanks for the additional movies. Wish I were there.

Was wondering if you've tried paddling or poling with the motor attached. Once you get to skinny water where the motor won't push you any further, what do you do? Is there a way to tilt the motor out of the water and out of the way? Thanks.

Larry

Larry,

The motor is very cool in that respect. The handle comes off by pushing a button. Then you swing the prop shaft into the cockpit and use a push pole. Everything is totally out of the way from getting caught on the brush.

Ed L.

That looks sweet Ed. There was a marsh I hunted a few years ago where that motor would have really come in handy. Saved a lot of shear pins.

Back