God, Dude and me

I just had to get out this past Tuesday. Despite the lack of birds in NJ, I promised Dude we would try again before we got froze out. The mile hike was easy because of the anticipation of the hunt. It felt like it could be one of those unexplainable perfect hunts. The birds line up, feet down and your dropping two with every squeeze. I passed on a some geese, even though Dude could hear and feel their wing beat over head. I got the look from him, but we were after ducks. Unfortunately, there were none, but I still got a special gift.
God gave me a glimpse of his love for me in the beauty of our surrounding. Perfection all around us. I could do nothing but thank God for his gift of friend and family. Of hunting dogs and hunting buddies who I will get to hunt with again someday soon. Of life and health and the joy of his fellowship while sitting on the edge of a quiet small pond.
I wish this gift for each of us this Christmas Holiday. We will get our chances to limit out on future hunts, but I will always consider this hunt perfection.
God Bless and Merry Christmas. From God, Dude and me.

View attachment God Dude and Me.jpg

Shooting and killing are part of the sport. But there is much more as you said.

The weather, the clouds, the wind, the snow, the waves, the birds or absence of, the marsh, the dogs, the friends, yourself, family and friends back home.

All are gifts from Him.

Larry

Dan:

Could not be said better. I feel the same way each day with Boo, a chocolate, ducks or no ducks.
God bless and Happy Holidays to all.
And best to Dude.

Good morning, Dan~

Thanks for sharing your wonderful thoughts and words. Sounds like we might have been on the same wavelength....I "penned" this yesterday morning:

A Slow but Fine Morning

Even though 2018 has been a Dearth of Ducks year thus far, I nevertheless opted to forego a shooting opportunity this morning.

I never rigged yesterday because the rivers were choked with swirling ice floes. The 8 more degrees this morning (22 F v. 14 F) banished the floes and so I rigged 10 puddlers on my favorite late-season river.

I decided to hunt - rather than head straight to the shop - because this may be the last bright, clear dawn of our local season. (Big rains headed in tonight.)

About 5 minutes before shooting time 3 Mallards passed right overhead, about 25 yards up. A minute later, 3 more (Blacks?) followed the same path.

About 10 minutes into legal time, a pair of Blacks stooled in from downriver - at about 12 yards. They stayed for about 10 or 15 minutes, the drake right within the decoys. He finally joined the hen across the river (30 yards?) and fed with her. Then - without any obvious reason - they jumped "flat" and headed upriver, right on the deck. The reason became clear moments later when a Bald Eagle rowed his way along the same path, perhaps 40 yards up.

Over the next 45 minutes, I had 2 and later 3 "copperhead shellpeckers" (hen Commons) swim, feed and fly around the rig.

I picked up after about an hour and began my chores for the day - a bit chilled but very satisfied that I had made the right decisions thus far.

With plenty of bullets left for the New Year, I remain,

C. F.

I can still see every feather on the drake's speculum just before he sat down. One more thing to cherish on the Solstice, Christmas and the New Year.

Merry Christmas to all,

SJS

Everyday spent afield with good dogs and good friends are gifts from the good Lord himself. Many a Sunday have Jon, the pups and I enjoyed watching the marsh come alive. Saw some of the most amazing sunrises while contemplating life. Maybe some regular church goers might disagree, but we have discussed how we feel closer to God out in nature than we would sitting in a big brick building for an hour.

Merry Christmas and God bless you and yours!

Jim and Grizz.

Back