Going to build a BBSB and need convincing!

Brandon,before you decide on length and cockpit size,give some thought to having a small cockpit on the foredeck that would have a dogger fold up to conceal the dog,and a handy access for storage.I forgot who on the site had pics of such a set-up.The dog in the cockpit while trying to rise and shoot from a reclining position is problematic,at best,and muzzle blast is too close to the dog.The option I like is having a bowed dogger that the dog can fit under,right behind your head while layout hunting.

Brandon,before you decide on length and cockpit size,give some thought to having a small cockpit on the foredeck that would have a dogger fold up to conceal the dog,and a handy access for storage.I forgot who on the site had pics of such a set-up.The dog in the cockpit while trying to rise and shoot from a reclining position is problematic,at best,and muzzle blast is too close to the dog.The option I like is having a bowed dogger that the dog can fit under,right behind your head while layout hunting.

Joe,
Just trying to be sure I follow you. Are you saying lengthen the cockpit to an acceptable length and tuck the dog up against the front under where the dodger would cover with me laying down downwind of her? Thats how I see myself and the pup hunting. Although sending her on the bird could get painful when she runs over me.

Or are you saying have a second "hole" small cockpit on the front of the boat that can be made water tight with a canvas cover? I like this idea alot. Seems having a second area for the puppy and in addition storage when rowing out to the location would be nice. I hope this is what your saying I like the idea alot more. Knowing the dogs personality a "place" like this would work well and she would try and run down the side of the boat instead of ontop of me when sent.

Actually,both options.One would have a bowed dodger instead of a center stick supported one ,and the dog could fit ,on the deck in front of the cockpit.He would be right behind your head while reclined.You sit up,he stays until you send him.The other is the hatch in the foredeck that has a lockable,removable,hard cover and it's own seperate dodger.The dog would sit down in the bow hatch and be covered with his own dodger and look around your dodger.A double set-up.I can't find the post with pictures that was on the site about 5 months ago.Thoes dodgers were square topped.May not be necessary with a dog that will lay quitly on the foredeck and not break.The thread was a discussion on canvas spray shields/dodgers.

I have the Harry MaGargee sneakbox plans from Field & Strem. I'm not sure where I got them, off the internet somewhere. I've been seriously thinking about building this boat. They are too large to post here (174KB). Give me an email address and I'll send them to you.

A scanned image of Megargee sneak box plans can be found here:

http://duckboats.net.nmsrv.com/specs/publications.html

About 2/3 down the page, called the Scaup BBSB. Kind of halfway between a traditional feather edge BBSB and the plywood panel Widgeon.

Thanks I found it.

I think with the help from Perry and others I need to give the traditional box a good look to see if I can adapt it to my needs. I am sure the hull will be the best bet for what I want.

Brandon: I would use dry cedar as the glass might not stick to green wood glass the seems and the planking to the frames the feild and stream BBSB has room for your dog if you don't mind a tight fit. I gun out of a fiberglass model for 15 years, once in a while one of my boats come up for sale,I made only three sailng BBsb the rest were not sailing models. best,Bill

Brandon: look in the classifid under timbertop for a pcture of my boat no longer in prodcution as the mold burnt up in a fire at a canoe co. Bill

Mr Perry graciously gave permission to share copies of his work. His generosity will save us all an incredible amount of effort. Thank you, sir.

I got your PMs. Sorry all, I didn't get those out yesterday. I'll try again tonight after the kids go to bed.

Charlie

Here's a shot of Bills "[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Megargee" [/font]BBSB I took 8 to 10 years ago at a NH Duckersday. I had a good time that day even though I was new to the classic duck boats on display. The sailing rig on Bill's boat caught my eye, wish I had a better camera. Bill it was nice meeting you that day!
BillPerrybbsbr.jpg

Scott

I not found the hull shadows to be a problem, she is very sea worthy, and she really does move through the water easily with oars, sail, or gasoline.

You will not be disappointed if you build one.

Brandon: look in the classifid under timbertop for a pcture of my boat no longer in prodcution as the mold burnt up in a fire at a canoe co. Bill

Bill I looked for it but the only reference I found was without pictures. I will look around more.

Mr Perry graciously gave permission to share copies of his work. His generosity will save us all an incredible amount of effort. Thank you, sir.

I got your PMs. Sorry all, I didn't get those out yesterday. I'll try again tonight after the kids go to bed.

Charlie

Charlie,
Not a big rush there is still 32 inches of standing snow here on the ground and more is falling so I wont be building soon. Just drop me a PM when you do send them so I can be sure to look for them. My spam filter is catching things it should not catch lately.

Everyone,
I really apreaciate all the help you have given. This is a great site and considering I am a new guy I really apreaciate the time you have taken to help me out.
I will try and pay you back with lost of pictures of the build and several of the end results next season.

Thanks Brandon.

p.s. if anyone has more feedback please share.

Back