Going to build a Devlin Broadbill

Tom,
build it! You will learn a lot and if you learn that you like it, you are ready for the next. If not you dont have a giant boat in the yard you dont know what to do with.

If you need any help with questions feel free to give me a call. I am just up 95.

My email is in my profile and if you want I will send the cell number.

It will be cool to see some good pictures of the boat as it is built and with a guy in it, to help others answer the questions about what boat will work for them.

Bob

Jim, I appreciate your thoughts. Believe me, you made me stop and think, but I am going to proceed with the Broadbill. I hope we cross paths.

Still make arrangements to see Daryl's boat. Come to the CWA banquet in April or CWA's wood duck nesting box building day in March and you'll find me. BobB, bring John to either/both if you can. You can take a box with you to put up someplace.

It's a 1 guy, no dog boat.... I bet you pretty much need to buy the same amount of plywood and epoxy, whether building a 10ft boat or a 14ft boat, only you have less scrap from the 14 footer.

And to think, for eight years Cassie hunted with me everytime I was in my broadbill. I didn't know I had it all wrong. I also routinely store 5 dozen decoys, shotgun, paddle, boat hook, and gear bag all of which goes under the decks and out of the cockpit. Based on what Jim says I'll have to do it again just to make sure I'm remembering correctly because he makes it sounds like it can't be. Thinking back I've been all wrong. I really should get an 18 foot 1200 pound boat. Just look at what everyone else is doing these days. It really does require 1500 pounds of gear to kill ducks. I must admit I do feel left out. When the rivers kick out of their banks I get separated from those big boats loaded to the gills with all that great gear for killing ducks. Somehow I end up navigating flooded timber to backwater places and small ducky looking openings while my big boat friends are safe and sound hunting the same places they've been going all season. It's awfully lonely back there.

Maybe I should feel guilty about the wood I wasted when I built my Broadbill too. I mean I managed to get all the parts from 3 sheets instead of 4 sheets of 3/8" but there was some small pieces leftover, not to mention the sawdust. Epoxy useage was about half what I used on my Black Brant so no real savings there.

In all fairness I'm just having a little fun with Jim and also the general trend of go huge or go home. In general his advice about not overestimating the the capacity of a boat is very good advice. It just so happens I built a Broadbill and know that it is more capable than Jim gives it credit for.

Eric

Still make arrangements to see Daryl's boat. Come to the CWA banquet in April or CWA's wood duck nesting box building day in March and you'll find me. BobB, bring John to either/both if you can. You can take a box with you to put up someplace.[/QUOTE]

I'll try to make both. I actually have a spot where I'd like to put up a box.

Tom,
build it! You will learn a lot and if you learn that you like it, you are ready for the next. If not you dont have a giant boat in the yard you dont know what to do with.

If you need any help with questions feel free to give me a call. I am just up 95.

My email is in my profile and if you want I will send the cell number.

It will be cool to see some good pictures of the boat as it is built and with a guy in it, to help others answer the questions about what boat will work for them.

Bob
Thanks Bob, I'll try to post pics and will probably give you a call.

Gee Eric,

You make it sound like something is wrong with sitting in the boat on a nice comfortable stool, Mr Buddy heater cranking away full blast while drinking coffee gazing over empty skies.

I just don't want to see somebody spend close to a year building a boat, go through all of the time and expense, only to realize when it's done that he should have built one a size or two bigger. Maybe Tom makes a full size cardboard deck of the Broadbill and goes to Daryl's and lays it on top of the Black Brant to see the difference in size....

Jim

Did I not mention I take a heater too? It costs me a few decoys but it fits :) Coffee needs to be warm. Diet Mt. Dew on the other hand is good all season long even if it stays in the boat between hunts.

Eric

Let me get this straight Eric. Your Mountain Dew (diet) does not freeze if you leave it in the boat....and you need a heater? You southern boys are thin skinned.....

It usually turns to slush thus making a tasty frozen treat perfect for cooling down after launching and setting decoys.

Eric

It's a 1 guy, no dog boat.... I bet you pretty much need to buy the same amount of plywood and epoxy, whether building a 10ft boat or a 14ft boat, only you have less scrap from the 14 footer.

And to think, for eight years Cassie hunted with me everytime I was in my broadbill. I didn't know I had it all wrong. I also routinely store 5 dozen decoys, shotgun, paddle, boat hook, and gear bag all of which goes under the decks and out of the cockpit. Based on what Jim says I'll have to do it again just to make sure I'm remembering correctly because he makes it sounds like it can't be. Thinking back I've been all wrong. I really should get an 18 foot 1200 pound boat. Just look at what everyone else is doing these days. It really does require 1500 pounds of gear to kill ducks. I must admit I do feel left out. When the rivers kick out of their banks I get separated from those big boats loaded to the gills with all that great gear for killing ducks. Somehow I end up navigating flooded timber to backwater places and small ducky looking openings while my big boat friends are safe and sound hunting the same places they've been going all season. It's awfully lonely back there.

Maybe I should feel guilty about the wood I wasted when I built my Broadbill too. I mean I managed to get all the parts from 3 sheets instead of 4 sheets of 3/8" but there was some small pieces leftover, not to mention the sawdust. Epoxy useage was about half what I used on my Black Brant so no real savings there.

In all fairness I'm just having a little fun with Jim and also the general trend of go huge or go home. In general his advice about not overestimating the the capacity of a boat is very good advice. It just so happens I built a Broadbill and know that it is more capable than Jim gives it credit for.

Eric

Eric-

I sent you a PM earlier. Iwould love to here more about your build and see some more pics.

Thanks,
TD

Ok I've been following this thread. As some o you are aware I'm contemplating building a Scaup 18. It's becoming more and more clear to after reading your comments here I may have to build 2 boats. A smaller boat for the days I'm alone and the larger one for friends and kids.

Why stop at 2? Ya just might need a layout& a nice light devlon poleboat& oh and don't forget a scull boat~~~ etc. ;-) I hope this helps too!
Dennis

I was thinking about building a broadbill also.I already have a 20ft. polarkraft xcc,but want something small for the marsh and creek on our hunting lease.

With the additions to the new fleet your also going to need a nice tender to tow all those boats.

Back