Good Morning, World!

Al Hansen

It was in the beginning of February 2009 and I had been on crutches for four weeks. The first thing that bugged me was that I had missed 31 days of duck hunting in January and yes, I was feeling sorry for myself.
I had hobbled over by the pond and was sitting in a chair watching the fish and just looking about. It was then that I happened to see a glitter up on the top of the mountain as the sun was just beginning to rise. It was the new Magdalena Ridge Observatory. I had my camera along and took some pics. Bev was sitting along side of me and I said, “When that day comes where I can throw these crutches away, I want to climb to the top of Mt. Baldy and look down at that observatory.” I’m sure Bev was thinking , yuh, yuh, sure, you betcha!
This morning the alarm woke me at 2:45 and I hustled to get the coffee made, take a shower, get all of my camera gear ready to go, get Chili, and head for Water Canyon. I was on my way by 3:20AM. Of course, my constant companion was nudging me letting me know not to forget to give her a milk bone treat. The 25 miles went quickly and I pulled into the campgrounds just at 4AM.
Have to admit that I made doubly sure to have my Kawasaki Mule key along. There is a story behind that for sure. I cranked up the Mule’s diesel engine, backed it off the trailer, got Chili to jump up on the seat next to me, and we were off.
It is a 7 mile trip to go almost one mile UP. I was heading for the top of Mt. Baldy and knew that the small parking spot for vehicles was at the 10,300 foot level. I brought along my lined flannel shirt for just in case and put in on almost immediately. Boy, it was pitch black outside but nice. The smell of pine trees was in the air almost the whole way up.
I finally arrived at this small pull out area and unloaded my “stuff”. Slung around my shoulders was a large bag with two cameras and three lenses. Hooked to my belt was a gallon sized thermos of water. I put on my goggles because there was a breeze up there and I didn’t need blowing sand to be an issue with my eyes. I then turned off the Mule’s lights and switched on my head lamp that I used every day during duck season.
My leg has been feeling great recently and that was one of the reasons I wanted to make this trip. It took a long time to heal. As I started to walk up a hardly visible trail the first thing I noticed was my breathing. My gosh it was difficult to catch my breath. Yes, I was one of those stupid idiots who used to smoke. For anyone who is a smoker, the word "infallible" is normally foremost in the mind. I, too, was going to be the “one” exception and not have to worry about heart disease, lung cancer, emphysema, etc. etc. etc. Should I go on? I paced myself the best I could and was glad that I allotted extra time for the hike. The observatory is at the 10,600 foot level and I’m sure that I had to climb up to around10,800 at least.
The one thing that I have always done whether it was 38 years ago when I was carrying out a Dall sheep for 14 air miles or like this morning when I encountered very steep terrain-----I learned to pace myself. I guess age does have its good points. Common sense prevails more and more. Today I saw a tree and walked to it, then next to a rock out cropping until I finally reached the top. At one time I thought I heard my lungs screaming----I guess I was just imagining it! I’m glad that I used my camera tripod as my walking cane. It came in very handy.
What a thrill to break out on the very top of Mt. Baldy with Chili at my side. I envied her having 4 wheel drive verses just my 2 wheel drive. The winds had died down quite a bit and I sat down to just soak it all up. What a thrill to have finally accomplished something that I have wanted to do for some time.
It was very interesting to see everything up on top get light first and then work itself down the mountainsides and into the valleys. I set up my camera and began shooting like there was no tomorrow.
The surprise of the morning had to be hearing first and then finally seeing him. Yes, I saw a male broad tailed hummingbird at very top of this mountain. This little guy was flying around at the 10,800 foot level. Almost unbelievable.
Here are some pics.
Al

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

The light is just hitting the Plains of San Agustin. This is where the VLA or Very Large Array is. It is approximately 25 to 30 miles from where I was. Those white dots out there are the huge radio telescopes that are 10 stories tall, weigh 230 tons,and you can put a Major League baseball diamond inside the dish of one of them.

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

I took this shot a few months ago when Bev and I drove over to the VLA for a visit. This is what they look like up close. Have you ever seen the movie, Contact? When you look at this radio telescope below, picture in your mind a major league baseball diamond with home plate, first base, second base, third base, and the pitcher's mound all inside that dish! They are IMMENSE!

IMG_6968.jpg

This is the new Magdalena Ridge Observatory. Most of us know of the Hubble telescope. Well, when they started that program NASA had three lenses made. One went into the Hubble telescope, the second one is hanging in the Smithsonian Institute, and the third one is in this observatory.

IMG_0843.jpg

My buddy, companion, and best hunting partner.

IMG_1004.jpg

National Science Foundation studies lightning up here, also. Here is the pad they use to induce strikes and then record everything.

P6090090.jpg

Their building is on the opposite side of the ridge which is over a mile to the east.

IMG_0844.jpg

It was pretty steep in this area.

P6090126.jpg

Chalk one off on the bucket list.

P6090133.jpg

Time to head back down.

P6090137.jpg

P6090143.jpg

P6090146.jpg

Guess who was first back to the Mule?

P6090151.jpg

On the way down I just had to stop and take a picture of these wild irises that were blooming all over the alpine areas.

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

Back to the truck and trailer. What a great trip.

IMG_1138.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for taking us on that climb. Very neat. Love the colors and patterns in that iris.

Tim

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] I hope you let Chili take a nice long nap after that hike!

Don,
That is interesting that you said that. Yesterday when we got back home she went and got a huge drink and then laid down in the shade of the patio. It was already in the high 90's around 10 in the morning and then by afternoon it reached 102F. She didn't move much.
By the way, I carried her dog dish along in the Mule so that she would always have water on the trip So far this year, Water Canyon still has some running water and that has helped her. She knows where to go for a cool drink.
Al
[/font]

Generally water is never a problem for the dog around here Al. It's nice to have one less thing to worry about. I take my dog on some hikes also, of course I try to watch him and see how he's doing but the vet says I should worry about myself and the dog will be fine. Earlier this year the dog and I went 12 miles but it was cool and there was water everywhere. And I might add it was not straight up.

IMG_0924.jpg

In this picture of the VLA within the Plains of San Agustin, if you could see it from space, the radio telescopes form a gigantic "Y". Each leg of the "Y" is thirteen miles long and they transport the dishes via railroad tracks. During the course of the year, the astronomers from around the world who have signed up to use this facility have to decide if they want to study something in the Universe that is a large area or a more defined area. The way you see the radio telescopes in the above picture is a close setting so they are studying a large area of the universe.
In the lower left hand part of the above picture you will see a small hill with a cell tower on it. The downward portion of the "Y" goes just to the left of that tower when they radio telescopes are spaced out to the maximum 13 mile segments.
I know I have to be at least fifteen miles from the tower, where I was standing yesterday morning on top of Mt. Baldy and from that tower to the middle of the "Y" is 13 miles.
By the way, the Plains of San Agustin, is such a large area that the city of Washington, D.C. and all of its suburbs would fit inside it.
Al

Al, Thanks for taking us along on your journey. My morning was so ejoyable reading your post. And thanks for packing that camera gear. The pics were stunning. Keep um coming. Give Chile a hug for me.
Gary March

Dang Al, sure seems worth it!! Hummer at 10800, that is crazy. The VLA is really impressive. Thanks for sharing all of this info and pictures.

Very cool, drove route 60 from Albuquerque to Phoenix on one of my trips "Out West" and stumbled upon the VLA by accident. Really impressive to see, especially since it wasn't a planned part of the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back