got the barnegat grassed now

Is that Rafia grass? More and more people use that but how well does it match the salt grass?

Be careful at the transom. That stuff will get into your prop and stall the motor. It used to happen to me all the time so I had to trim mine back.

Charlie, I see what your saying. I have it all zip tied really well and I'm sure some of it will still come off. I'll try to make a cover for it.
Davey, yes it's raffia and it does look a lot like the grass mats you see floating around. Salt hay doesn't match a lot of the grass I hunt most of the time. Seems to turn light so I'm trying something new. We shall see

Lookin' good! You should do great!

My theory is that it's nice to match the immediate surroundings, but barring that, being well covered by any other type of camo (not just camo netting alone) is second best.

Good luck!

Anthony

Thats a cool grass job, but I like being able to utilize the deck and decoy racks. I used to permanently grass the boat each year, now I have a removable system. Secret squirrel.

Looks good, I'd just be concerned about ice late in the season. I'm also interested to hear how the offset motor board works for you.

Craig, that no angle offset motorboard has been on there since 1990 when this boat was made. I don't know why it's offset but I only use a 3.5 hp on it and that doesn't seem to hurt anything.

I just did my kmt sneakbox in rafia its so cheap an blends well ! best part is it is paintable so to darken it up just take some brown spray paint a mist away !

Matt, both your boats look great to me, but I ain't a duck.........

Someone commented about us alot of us Jersey guys using Raffia vs salt hay. For me, it's a 1st. This year is going to be an experimental season for me with the bigger boat and type of camo. If the Raffia does the job of concealing my boat and I don't flare birds, I'll be happy. If it does those things and hold up well, I'll be sold on it. The grass seems to be very strong and dries well while pulling it down the road from the ramp back to my barn. The Fast Grass I used to use would get moldy if put away wet. Time will tell the true story.

I hear ya mike. I doubt the birds flare from the raffia grass. If they do it's not hard to grass it back up with native grass. I am going to put some salt hay between the bungees on the boards to soften the edges. I won't even hunt out of this boat here unless one of my friends or dad wants to use it.

If you are going to use rafia, maybe spray if with a clear sealer, This worked well on my goose layout blind.

steve that chair is off of one of my kayaks. it is pretty comfy lol

charlie that sounds like a good idea. maybe the water will bead off it better and it will hold up longer. what i should have done was spray it before i put it on.

Matt, can you share the details of the kayak seat... John Bourbon is looking for something for his 25 yo poke boat..... Dave

Back