grass/decoy rails

Robert Becherer

When I built my Kara Hummer a few years ago,I did not put decoy rails on,but now I would like to.I don't want to screw them right to the to narrow gunnel ,but slightly inboard of the gunnels using a wood backer under the decking.I would not like to have these as a permanent rail incase they need to be replaced.Can i put a paintable sealer down before installing the rails and then be able to remove them later if replacment is needed? I thought about using 5200 but That may be a permenant thing.

use 3M 4200 its like 5200 but not permanent. When I put the rails on my sneakbox I epoxied them on. I use the rails to pull the boat around tie rope to use as lashing points for decoy bags on the front deck so I wanted them to be rigid. If i need to replace one I would just have to cut the old one off then use a belt sander to clean up the epoxy and sand everything flush and replace with a new one.

After I posted my question,I got to thinking that it would be a good idea to make them permanent just for the reason you mentioned.It would probably that a lot of abuse to wear down the rails.I think marine epoxy it is.I will sand the paint off where the rails will mount and screw and glue them on and then repaint.I think I will prepaint the rails with fiberglass resin first just to seal them from moisture.

Back