Grassing ideas for Roy boat

Mike McCauley

Hey guys I just bought a 12' Roy schellinger low boat. Was trying to get some ideas on how other guys grass there's up as mine doesn't have grass rails. Would also love to see some with spray shields installed! Thanks!

A lot of guys that don't have grass rails use aviary or chicken coop netting pulled tight over the hull and flapper boards with salt hay or raffia attached to that. That's how mine is.

There are holes drilled along the edge of the spray rail to use line to attach the netting. If you look along the edge of the hull you can see it in this shot.

DSC_0773.jpg

I ran bungees on the top and bottom of each flapper board to attach natural grass as needed depending on where I'm gunning. You can see the black bungees peeking through in this shot:

14876468_10100780670921192_3569366124070438912_o.jpg

A lot of guys that don't have grass rails use aviary or chicken coop netting pulled tight over the hull and flapper boards with salt hay or raffia attached to that. That's how mine is.

There are holes drilled along the edge of the spray rail to use line to attach the netting. If you look along the edge of the hull you can see it in this shot.

I ran bungees on the top and bottom of each flapper board to attach natural grass as needed depending on where I'm gunning. You can see the black bungees peeking through in this shot:

What kind of light is that on the bow Craig ?

Last edited:
Bob that's a 12" LED light bar I got on Amazon. Something like $28. Still going strong for two seasons so far.

My Roy boat is grassed the same way as Craig's is. Netting over the hull and about 7 bundles of raffia grass tieded into the netting. I also took some different colored twine and tied that in as well. The guy I gun with just put grass rails on his this past season and did the whole boat in salt hay

1/4" bungee attached every 16" or so with screw on nylon cable clamps.
Lift bungee, deposit grass, drop bungee, done.

Run several lines of bungee's to cover boat depending on the avg. length of grass, or whatever else you might use. Easy to add more as the season goes on, uses half or less that of grass rails and thus half or less the weight, especially as it soaks up water, easy to take off at the end of season, and yes, it covers the boat just fine. :)

1/4" bungee attached every 16" or so with screw on nylon cable clamps.
Lift bungee, deposit grass, drop bungee, done.

Run several lines of bungee's to cover boat depending on the avg. length of grass, or whatever else you might use. Easy to add more as the season goes on, uses half or less that of grass rails and thus half or less the weight, especially as it soaks up water, easy to take off at the end of season, and yes, it covers the boat just fine. :)

Pretty good advice rt there.The only thing I would change on my Duck Boss 13 is the grassing rails are actually hand rails and take way too much grass to fill.

Last edited:
I have only seen pics of these boats , never in the flesh, so could you enlighten me on how large a scale (or small) are the boats.
There are two lengths 12' and 14'?
There are two heights? Low and High?
Are they designed as a one man or two man boat?
Does the blind when in position allow one to vary the width of the top opening ?
Do you drop one of the side panels to shoot?
Is the boat all fiberglass including the panels?
Sorry so many questions but the boat is appealing in many ways. Thanks

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Craig,
I especially like the rooster tail "camo grassing" in the first pic!
[/font]
I also like to stick duck feathers in there too, just a habit of mine.

The bungee idea is also a great way to do it. Had my sneakbox setup partially like that. I can't take credit for the netting/raffia setup on my boat as it was like that when I bought it so I've just been tweaking it a little here and there for my usage.

Back