Grow Millet Grow

Rob Robertson

Oklahoma Dept of Wildlife planted a Total of 891 Acres on the area I hunt. Up to 9 inches tall now. Aug 9, 16, 23 and today the 30th.
IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

001-2.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

Rob,
What time this fall will the river come up so that all that millet will have some water around it? That is a great looking area.
Al

Rob,
What time this fall will the river come up so that all that millet will have some water around it? That is a great looking area.
Al

I understand we have an elnino winter coming. For us that means lot of rain in November and December.

In north central Iowa, hunting an area like that would get you arrested for baiting.

Here also if you manipulate it. No different than hunting a Iowa flooded corn field.

Agreed. But in the PPR, the DNR does not plant crops in public hunting areas. And flooded corn fields are thing of the past in the age of ethenhol. Farmers are tiling and draining wetlands up here at an alarming rate, even in the face of a record drought.
We've got trouble, right here in River City.

Here also if you manipulate it. No different than hunting a Iowa flooded corn field.

Agreed. But in the PPR, the DNR does not plant crops in public hunting areas. And flooded corn fields are thing of the past in the age of ethenhol. Farmers are tiling and draining wetlands up here at an alarming rate, even in the face of a record drought.
We've got trouble, right here in River City. [/quote]

Curt,

Excuse my ignorance, but what is PPR ? prairie pot hole region? I know here in Iowa the DNR or possibly the county depts, have always planted several areas with both millet and corn, which is later flooded.

We've got trouble, right here in River City.
[/QUOTE]

Land just sold for $7,000/acre just north of DeSmet South Dakota a few days back. All due to ethanol. Wetlands are being drained so fast it is unbelievable. People are now getting over 170 bushels of corn/acre and at over $8/bushel, that's a lot of dough. Why keep it in wetland?

Mark W

In Michigan the DNR floods corn to hunt . One is call Fish point wildlife area. They do a lottery everyday of the season .

Ethanol subsidies suck, plain and simple.
Bad for food prices, bad for engines and bad for the environment.
Only person profitting is the farmer.
Nothing against farmers, but the whole idea of converting food to fuel energy is just plain stupid.
No one (republican or democrat) wants to come out against it because they will be painted as anti-farmer and anti-clean energy.

North central Iowa is in the Prairie Pothole Region and the DNR does plant food plots on public hunting areas, but it's most common in upland areas that rarely if ever flood naturally. I know it's a common practice at Odessa and Riverton. Do they still flood corn at Big Marsh? I know I have seen it done in the past.

North central Iowa is in the Prairie Pothole Region and the DNR does plant food plots on public hunting areas, but it's most common in upland areas that rarely if ever flood naturally. I know it's a common practice at Odessa and Riverton. Do they still flood corn at Big Marsh? I know I have seen it done in the past.

Curt,
Yes, also the DNR plants millet in and around the river impoundments along the DesMoines river. The plots in some of the State owned marshes are planted in areas that are then flooded during the waterfowl season.

Back