Grumman Sport Boat mud motor needed

Hi everyone,
I currently run a DuckTwin outboard on it for open water but looking to add a small MM for managed waterfowl areas and shallow Saginaw Bay marshes.
Been looking at Mud Skipper Twister and PPF Wood Duck (these are the perfect 6.5 hp size and light weight). I've seen twisters on Marketplace that are practically new, ran once or twice and now up for sale, my experience is that there's something they're not telling in their add that would be good to know before buying.
Input/feedback on either would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark Davenport

I remember reading on the Mud Motor Talk forum that many folks felt that the lightweight Thai mud motors were not rugged enough to run in swamp/marsh conditions.
I bought a 6.5 HP Go-Devil long tail mud motor which is very very rugged and have used it on a 12' car topper, a 15'4" Gheenoe and currently on a TDB 14'. However at 109 lb. you may not feel it is light enough.

I remember reading on the Mud Motor Talk forum that many folks felt that the lightweight Thai mud motors were not rugged enough to run in swamp/marsh conditions.
I bought a 6.5 HP Go-Devil long tail mud motor which is very very rugged and have used it on a 12' car topper, a 15'4" Gheenoe and currently on a TDB 14'. However at 109 lb. you may not feel it is light enough.
Thanks Kim, I'll take a look at it as well.

Thanks Kim, I'll take a look at it as well.
Mark,
Having spent many hours in a Grumman Sport Boat and also owning a 6.5 Mud Buddy brand long tail (NOT mounted to the Sport Boat) I would not recommend this motor on that hull. I too, as Kim said, feel you would find the weight to be too much and top heavy. Just my two cents.

Mark,
Having spent many hours in a Grumman Sport Boat and also owning a 6.5 Mud Buddy brand long tail (NOT mounted to the Sport Boat) I would not recommend this motor on that hull. I too, as Kim said, feel you would find the weight to be too much and top heavy. Just my two cents.
Agreed, thanks Dave.

I’ve run a 6.5 beavertail and a 6.5 backwater on my sportboat and I love them. They aren’t for everyone though. You could fairly easily lose your balance. You could also flip the boat if you if you turn sharp going fast. I’m thinking about another mudmotor for my sportboat but I’d rather get a bigger jonboat Due to having a family that enjoys the outdoors

I have a mudskipper longtail and it works great. The twister is getting bad reviews from a couple of people who had the cable break and are being sour pussies. I have my 6.5hp on the back of a 105 lb lund ducker. Haven't gottent the hang of it yet as there is ALOT to learn. This motor (predator 212) and long tail kit are not too heavy for this boat.

I have seen many folks put a 6.5hp on the back of the boat you have. Seen vidoes of them and it seems to work well. Remember, there is a learning curve to these motors. Everything from how to trailer it, get it in the water, start it. hook up the motor so the long tail isn;t in the water when you let go and on and on.

As far as some of these cheap mud skipper twisters you are seeing. Amazon sells a real chep knock off. I would be very careful that those folks selling a twister is really a twister.

Mark W

I’ve run a 6.5 beavertail and a 6.5 backwater on my sportboat and I love them. They aren’t for everyone though. You could fairly easily lose your balance. You could also flip the boat if you if you turn sharp going fast. I’m thinking about another mudmotor for my sportboat but I’d rather get a bigger jonboat Due to having a family that enjoys the outdoors
I agree balance can be an issue. It really helps to have a grab bar, or at least an "Alaskan Bridle", which is a short length of rope with a loop you hang on to as a handle, which is tied to the boat a little in front of you so you pull on it to keep standing upright.

Mark,

I run a 6.5 Go Devil which is the crawfish model which is a 58" longtail, on my Grumman sport boat and Grumman 19ft freighter. No issue once you get the feel for it. I run a two tether ropes from the handle to the bottom of the boat. One tether when looped around the handle keeps the prop out of the water when starting. The second tether I keep on when motoring to make sure the motor does not get sideways on me. I hunt MI managed areas with it.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. John I saw a guy using the tethers as you describe on YT, thanks.
Mark

Back