gun cleaning.

chris k

A little embarrassed about this one I have a Remington "the sportsman" or model 11 I bought it after I returned from Iraq and used it when home on leave a few times. I always cleaned the barrel and oiled it but never broke it down fully after hunting with it a lot this year I want to give it a good cleaning I can not for the life of me get it apart. I began to remove some screws. one was stuck so I stopped not wanting to strip it while trying to put the screws in I removed they didn't want to line up after a few curse words and sweating over it I finally got it back together. Did a search but the YouTube link came up invalid found out a little more history about this gun. But didn't locate a manual or anything any help would be great. It's the 20 gauge I believe manufactured in the 40's.

Chris,

I've been there. I have gone two routes. Lots of wd40 and a quality gun smithing screwdriver set or take it to a gunsmith.

If you care for the gun, take it to the gunsmith.

Rich~

Heating a rod - to avoid putting heat on it directly - great idea that I had never heard/thought of.

Thanks!

SJS

I don't know Model 11's, but I have seen lots of auto 5's with barfed up screw heads due to the different width of the screw slots. I would take it to a good gunsmith. I have heard stories about guys getting their auto 5's apart and taking them to the gunsmith in pieces to get them put back together.

chris, basic firearms number 5 model 11 on utube shows everything u need to take down and put back together. good luck, rick

chris with wood removed try soaking gun in a product called pb blaster. it comes in a spray can. this product loosens pins and bolts pretty good.

Back