Gunning box

Lee that is a really nice gunning box. Is it dove tailed together or butt joints? Cant really tell. Looks very functional do you use it a lot?

Mike, Mike Trudel (Yeoldducktoller) sent me these pics. I hope he get's to use the computer tonight and see's this post. He can answer the questions.

thanks Lee, look like butt joints after I cleaned my glasses. Looks like a real nice project for a cold winter weekend.

This box was made by Ron Koch (author, decoy historian, and decoy maker), it does have butt joints, however dovetailed construction does exist. The dimensions are 8 inches high, by 10 inches wide, and 16 inches long.

The box is great in a skiff. Just make sure the angles of the gun yokes allow the gun to point over the top of the skiffs bow. It also is great to use on a dove hunt.

These shell boxes, like old wood decoys, marsh skies, trapper paddles, continue to gain in value the more they are used. Hope this helps. Mike

That looks like just the ticket. May have to build one of those (or two or three) this summer.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Nate

"New" member here, though I've read posts for years. My father made a similar box for me...the handle was leather belting (so not to mark gun), and gun supports were lower than photo on forum, so you could carry the box with gun in place. Can't post photos yet, but think of your gripping hand able to grab gun and handle... a useful feature, I think.

Thanks for the pictures. Is there any kind of drawer-stop to keep the drawer from falling out? I'm having a difficult time visualizing the leather handle. Hope you can post some pictures soon. This is a project I want to try soon, too.

Have a great day.

Saw this on EBAY. Supposed to be 1930s authentic from Wisconsin. good reference pic. very buildable.

gunbox.jpg

gunbox2.jpg

gunbox3.jpg

The last photo shows soft strap (like my leather handle) better than I explained. If gun supports are low enough, you can grip gun in place, and strap, at same time. It's handy, 'long as you keep box contents light...awkward if both box and gun are heavy.

Back