Heading up to Saginaw Bay tomorrow

Scott O.

I just said screw it and took a vacation day. I'll go over for the draw at 11am and see what happens for a single at Fish Point.

I have to think that with the unemployment rate around here being what it is, there may not even be an open field if I pass on the draw but I have the boat on the trailer and we are ready to go. I just want to go up there if I have to sit on the edge of the water and watch clouds. Its gotta be better than working in the office.

If anyone is going to be there, let me know.

With the weather being so nice and the monday before the gun opener I would say you have a pretty good shot at having a low draw day. Staying local today, I have the sneaky plan that has potential. Shiawassee on Thurs and you better believe I will be chasing birds all weekend. If your ever interested in getting together to hit a draw give me a shout. If I was'nt getting out of work at 0600 I would have made the trip. Good luck, the best shooting has been early afternoon, the moon has them up late.

-Brandon

You pretty well nailed it Brandon...16 parties (14 in the morning) and I drew 5th as a single so I passed. Cloudy day, 58 and light wind from the SW. Wound up in 20 anyway and got to try out the Aerocraft in the flooded corn with its FME corn camo motif...it was a nice match. Birds were intermittent but they got stirred up a few times and ventured out. Took two geese and a big mutha black then scooted home to watch MSU play the GVSU exhibition game.

I think once we get a freeze on up north, that place will light right back up and there will be some hot shooting.

If I can possibly do it, I would meet you up there...lets see how the season and our schedules go.

Shiawassee has been about the same. Pretty quiet right now. With the warm weather, I'm holding out until next week before heading back up there.

Like Brandon was saying, once the deer firearm starts, there will be fewer people coming out for waterfowl.
And if we get a hard freeze, it should drive everything south of the Straits down to Zone 3. The best part of this year's season might still be coming.

I am with you Scott, I think its on its way, and its going to be hard and fast. I was hoping for a nice smooth cool down, but its not going to happen. I saw a flock of teal last night, happy to see them, but not good at the same time. We will prob get a week of some serious migrators then resort to bustin ice and freezing our tails off. I had put in for over 60 hrs off in November but guys with more time are hunting deer. I will be going out thurs through sunday, but I think its going to be fightin with stale birds and trying all the tricks. Found about 200 mallards using a small back area, problem is they don't leave. Wait for some nasty weather and try to sneak in real early I guess, and hope they come back. This weather is killin me!!! Birds have no reason to move and they are not eating hot foods, just loafing around on the water all day while I kill bugs and sweat. I have had luck with geese, they are moving well. This weekend will be fun, at least we will have a good chance of getting into great areas and having the moron factor lower than normal. I hate how places like Shiawassee and Fish Point are amazing and beautiful reasources at our disposal but over run with sky busting jerks that have no appreciation for the ideals of waterfowling. We will see how it goes.

Back