heater in a sneakbox

Chris S.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used a small heater in there sneakbox on really cold day not sure if its a good idea with chance of fire I met a guy who used a small coleman cat heater and he said it worked wonders he had a large cockpit and hung it on the side so it wasn't under the deck any thoughts anyone use one thanks for the info

Jim,
My body stays warm just fine but I can't keep my feet warm I have 600grams in my wadder boots gonna go to 1200 next season I have tried the poly sock liners and the socks with the pockets for the little warmers they work pretty well but only a few hours and I don't use any cotton as cotton is the devil to a hunter my frozen feet is the only thing that messes up my day of hunting will 1200 gram wadders make a big diff with my cold feet thanks for the help

I used to have a pair of heavy waders (1,000 gm or 1,200 gm) and they were nice. But they wore out and since then I've bought less expensive (lighter) waders only because the heavy ones cost so much. What I have found to work well is two pairs of heavy wool socks. Look for a high percentage of wool, around 80% or better. Bass Pro Shops has a nice pair for around $10 and they have a lifetime guarantee. If you wear a hole in them, take them back for a new pair no questions asked. Just as important is to not constrict your feet. If you’re wearing two pairs of socks, the outer pair should be looser fitting. Your waders should also be a size larger to give your toes some wiggle room. If you couple two pair of wool socks with a pair of 1,200 gram waders, your feet should be warmer.

Chris,

I have a stove just like David Clarks and also have a MR Buddy portable heater (single burner). I found the heater on sale at Lowes for $49, off season clearance. I was also concerned about the dangers of using it in a small boat. However, if you are carefull and make sure your fuel tank is stowed properly with out any fumes in the boat you should not have a problem. I have a large cockpit in my BBSB with a large dodger and it works great to get my dog dry after a swim and keeps us both warm when the temps are in the single digits.
FSCN0075.jpg

This is the heater
downsized_0129001654.jpg

Just make sure you keep in mind that propane is heavier than air. So, if you have a leak in a tank the fuel will run to the lowest point in the boat. The bilge. If you have electric in the boat, that can be an ignition source. I stow my fuel on the aft deck amoung the decoys or on the forwad deck under the dodger in a small bucket with a hose coming out from the bottom of the bucket that runs overboard. I was alway really nervous about propane in a small boat and larger boats for that matter. I have become very comfortable with this system as long as it is used wisely.
I'm sure there will be some debate over the use of heater.

Good luck and stay warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chris - I haven't tried an open flame in my BBSB but have really enjoyed hand and foot warmers the last few seasons.
sarge

I used a MR Buddy portable heater in my Estuary all the time....no problems at all

Best
Bob

I was wondering if anyone has ever used a small heater in there sneakbox on really cold day not sure if its a good idea with chance of fire I met a guy who used a small coleman cat heater and he said it worked wonders he had a large cockpit and hung it on the side so it wasn't under the deck any thoughts anyone use one thanks for the info

Chris, I used to get cold feet all the time, even with the 1200gram boots. Here is my solution - Under Armour cold weather base sock, TOE WARMERS, and then a big fluffy pair of wool socks. Seriously those toe warmers are GREAT. I buy them in bulk so I always have them, but they are cheap ($1.99/pair). They just peel and stick to your socks, but you have to have a sock over it. They provide nice warmth for 7-8 hours. I have even used two in each boot, one on top of toes and one under toes and it is like heaven.

As far as a heater, my buddy has a Mr. Buddy that we use in his garvey and I love it, but it won't get/keep your feet warm when you're wearing waders and everything. We use it primarily to keep the hands warm. I think you'd be fine with one in a sneakbox, the Mr. Buddy is pretty safe and has a lot of safety features. I'm going to be keeping one in my boat but only for emergency use.

Last edited:
Chris go with cabelas 1600's the hips are great for sneakbox. Waders are too heavy for any walking or ditch jumping.By the time you get a heater to warm your feet in "lite" boats the rubber's melted.

Back