Heinrichs Sneakbox Rebuild Thread

Tom Barb

Well it has been a VERY long build but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have been holding back from posting updates because my pace of work is so slow with everything else going on in life. Anyway, I finally made enough progress to post some pics. I ended up replacing way more than I had ever planned but am glad I did. It is a very solid boat. Id like to explain step by step everything I did but I think I'll let the pics talk for themselves.

Thank you to everyone on the site for helping me along the way. Chris S and Dave's boats were inspiration in the beginning and when Steve came along... Well, Steve, you are just a machine. But seriously thank you all for your tips, answers to my many questions, emails, criticism, and compliments. From here on out I'll be posting here for the final stages and launch. Only thing is I am getting married in a few weeks! Working like a dog to get it done before the season. Anyway, here she is...

Impressive work Tom!

Making me long for time to complete my BBSB rebuild.

Keep the pictures coming....please.

Mike

Tom-

Great work! Nice progress pics. Thanks for taking the time to post all of those.

Congrats on the upcoming marriage. I assume the future Mrs is well aware of the sickness that we possess and knows what she is getting into.

Small side question: I have been looking to get a hold of one of those NJ Ducks Unlimited decals for a couple of years. The chapter that I belong to doesn't have any. Do you know how to get one?

Good luck finishing up and hunting out of the newly restored boat.

Chad A

Nice work, Tom. And congratulations on the upcoming marriage. Does your fiancee know she'll never be able to park a car in the garage? lol.

Establish the duckboat navy early in the relationship, while the honeymoon glow is still on her. After a few years it gets much harder to add boats.

I cut out the featheredge guards today and was working on the motor board. I encapsulated the motoboard with epoxy and painted the side that will go up against the transom. I also painted the transom so I wouldn't have to squeeze in there after the motor board is on. I'll post pics of that tomorrow. When the 5200 dries on the ice runners, I will paint the bottom and flip her over for the final time. Can't believe I'm saying that! Finally!!

Btw, the ice runners were one of my least favorite parts. They are IPE and were a pain to bend to the contour of the boat, but I did it... Without a steam box. Lol. And there is just something that does not feel right about drilling a bunch of holes into the hull of a boat you just spent all that time on making it water tight!

Thanks for looking fellas and let me know if there's any questions. There's just too many pics I caption each one.

Thanks guys! Chad, I get those from our local chapter dinners,Cumberland County, but am unsure where they get them made. Jeff, she is well aware of the sickness. Between boats, decoys, and everything else she just keeps saying her life is being overtaken by ducks! Haha. She did however want me to carve a pair of old squaws for the top of the wedding cake. I'll be sure to post some pics when they are done. It's been a very busy summer.

Tom
I enjoyed your pictures of a great restoration and can imagine your feelings when she slips into the water for the first time. Thanks for sharing.
wis boz

Congratulations on your progress to date! Beyond gaining a functional boat, it is a point of pride to restore something that has such a storied history in waterfowling.

Thanks for the kind words guys. It surely has been a great learning experience. I often found myself thinking about if old man Gus was looking down smiling at the progress of bringing her back to life, and wondering if he would be proud of the restoration. I really wish the boat could talk to tell the stories of past owners and hunts.

hey tom good work, i just finished up the perrine box as well. That Ipe is no joke, there are a couple pieces of my countersink bits in the runners. lol. a friend of mine used ipe as well for his box after seeing mine and he soaked them in the pool fora couple days and they bent like a dream, wish i did it now. boat looks great.

Thanks Jay. I almost built a steambox, but it am too impatient. Let's see some pics of that perrine!

Back