Hello All!

John Bourbon

Its been a long time since I've been a regular participant here....life has a way of getting in the way....And its one of those things that i'd like to bring up as you may find it interesting. As an avid reader of many things, one of my life goals was to be a published author. Several months ago, that goal was achieved. A chance encounter at the Barre Gun Show in Barre Vt allowed me to meet the editor and owner of the Vermont Sporting Journal, a publication devoted to the outdoors in Vt. He was looking for new writers, we spoke, he checked out my Facebook page and asked me to contribute articles on decoy carving, duck hunting, etc. The first 2 articles were on decoy carving and I pretty well beat that subject to death. The most recent article was on boat building. He put it on the front page of this month's edition, along with a pic of the Snow Goose Cheech Kehoe and I built 23 years ago (and yes I still have it and its still going strong). There is also a pic of the plywood hunting kayak I built 11 years ago.

I invite you all to check it out at VermontSportingJournal.com. After all, it was Duckboats.net that was the inspiration for everything in that article.

Its been a long time since I've been a regular participant here....life has a way of getting in the way....And its one of those things that i'd like to bring up as you may find it interesting. As an avid reader of many things, one of my life goals was to be a published author. Several months ago, that goal was achieved. A chance encounter at the Barre Gun Show in Barre Vt allowed me to meet the editor and owner of the Vermont Sporting Journal, a publication devoted to the outdoors in Vt. He was looking for new writers, we spoke, he checked out my Facebook page and asked me to contribute articles on decoy carving, duck hunting, etc. The first 2 articles were on decoy carving and I pretty well beat that subject to death. The most recent article was on boat building. He put it on the front page of this month's edition, along with a pic of the Snow Goose Cheech Kehoe and I built 23 years ago (and yes I still have it and its still going strong). There is also a pic of the plywood hunting kayak I built 11 years ago.

I invite you all to check it out at VermontSportingJournal.com. After all, it was Duckboats.net that was the inspiration for everything in that article.
Good for you John. Nice article.

John, Good to see your name on board again. Congratulations on the article. I enjoyed it. You still making flatty decoys? Mine get floated every year.

Hi Eric! Thank you for the kind words on the article. I'm flattered that you still hunt them.

I haven't made any flatties in a couple of years, mainly because nobody has asked for any. A couple of years ago bought a whole case of 2" thick slabs of black cork. I married them to some exceptional pieces of 1" thick white pine I got from the maple syrup place I work at to make decoys that are a little lower in the water than regular decoys but still show nice. I have a pair of mallards of that type in process now. I'll post in process pics soon.

I have a couple of other interesting duck boat related things going on also. As soon as I get a chance, I'll post pics....

Way to go John! Keep the tradition alive and kicking.
RVZ

Back