Help with suggestions on new boat build

Tanner

Looking for some suggestions or opinions on my new boat build. I am building a devlin blue bill out of aluminum and plan on using it as a layout boat. I built the transom across the back so there is no motor well.
When you layout in the boat is it better to face away from the motor or towards it
I was thinking about doing a canopy type of blind cover at the head (like a baby carriage has) and flip doors for the rest. Has anyone done this and any pro or cons or better yet some pics.
Thinking about a 9.9 hp and am unsure if I should do the electric start with a battery or not.
I ordered a seat from four rivers and am going to use the pads from Styx river for the rest of the boat.
This will be my fourth boat this year out of aluminum, I finished a BB3 for the river and love how it handles and performs. I have a flip blind so I can sit up and hunt two guys real comfortable with a dog. This one is just for me and my dog I want to hunt some short grass areas and the BB3 is better with a river bank behind it. I have it tacked up right now and need to decide onsome details to continue.
Suggestions on how to tell the wife I'm working on boat #4 lol

Good choice. I shoot out of the bow over the stern. The shield might be a idea also. Thought of putting one on my South Bay. Don't know if it would get in the way. Maybe someone will pipe in that uses one. I moved my gas can and battery to the bow to get up on a plane easier. Electric start is great. 15 hp should do the job. Put a 15 on my boat and it runs great. Probably have to cut the motor mount down 1 1/2" to get the cavitation plate below the bottom.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
When you layout in the boat is it better to face away from the motor or towards it

Tanner,

I face towards the motor. I usually angle the boat about 25 degrees so that my sweet spot for shooting is off the back corner of the boat. That way the vast majority of my shooting is not directly over the motor. Shooting towards the back corner of the boat makes set up easier.

If I need to push into some weeds or low cover the bow of the boat slides right into the weeds. If I need to anchor out in open water the bow is pointing into the wind and waves.
[/font]
overhead.jpg

grassedside.jpg

IMG_8892.jpg

IMGP0512.jpg

My dog sits on the front deck under the dodger and is protected from the elements as well as myself.

IMGP0529.jpg

Huntingdave thank you, those pics are close to what I was thinking about for the dodger. I did not think about the dog on the deck but that is a nice option.

Back