How thinghs change....

Clint

I was reading "Tides ending" by B.B. last night and was struck by his comment son how the estuaries he hunted had changed from before WWII, through the war, and afterwards. He lamented areas that he would not see another gunner and with time those places became crowded with gunners, to the point that he stopped visiting those haunts. He discusses how agriculture intruded on marshes, and how airfields caused the geese to go eslewhere.

It caused me to reflect on some of my own experiences. Growing up on the homestead in Colorado, i remember when Canada geese were just being introduced. before, they were rarely seen. I still have the band from one I found poached on the neighbor's pond. The trips with my dad to the lake a half mile away where they hunted ducks. Those fields are now apartment houses, and the lake ringed by houses. I haven't returned in years because I prefer to remember how it was.

I remember being able to drive for 30 minutes up any road into the mountains and be able to stop, fish, and get away. Now, drive over an hour and you're still in someone's yard with barking dogs and an irate landowner who believe they also own the pull-outs. Never mind trying to fish, it's rare that you'll even see a 3 inch trout.

I remember driving to Horsetooth Reservoir to fish. It seemed that you drove through miles of wheat fields. On the corner, as you turned to drive up to the reservoir, there was 1 gas/bait/license station. When I was last there in the late 80's while going to CSU, the station was still there surrounded by houses. The drive up to and around the south end was continuous houses, and there was tons of sand hauled in to make a "beach."

Here in Louisiana, fields that i used to watch the specks land in while driving to work are now houses. A rice field we surveyed shorebirds in is now a school. The overgrown field next to my house where the quail covey lived, and king rails greeted the dawn, now has 2 houses on it, and the owners keep the grass mowed like a golf course. I have people stealing geese and swans from my yard.

It leads onbe to wonder what things will be like in 10 years. Will there be any places one can escape to?

Clint

It takes more money, more gas and more time to maintain some level of quality in the experiance and still the quaility of the experiance will continue to decline.

When will our quality of our experiance with nature hit rock bottom? Will we, our kids our our grandkids see it? It is coming right up.

T

Last edited:
Yep, Urban sprawl will be our environmental un-doing when it comes to water quality, fish & wildlife habitat & quality of life.
Regardless of what happend to the other species we share the planet with, sooner or later, we'll build ourselves out of drinkable water or agriculturally-viable land (or both). Technology might fix the former but not the latter.
When will this happen? Probably not in our lifetime, or our grandchildren's either. But unless we collectively come to our sense, it will happen.

There's a lot of unchanged land in this country also. The bad and good thing about it is it isn't where most of the people are.

I read a blog last week about a marsh a gentleman had grown up near being drained for an industrial park and it made me think. Now I'm no greenie and land for industry is needed IMHO but it seems too often the 'pretty' land is saved and the 'ugly' land is urbanized. It's easy to get support for a park with rolling hills or towering trees. We save trees without concern to the forest and we keep the views instead of nature. I see people think wetlands are lakes lined with homes when a one acre mucky pond in the middle of a corn field has more life in it.

I'm not in the middle of the urban sprawl but have seen a lot of changes even here. At the same time I can find land little changed since the great depression. It's all in where you are at. Many small towns have all but died and there is no chance of manicured lawns showing up there any time soon.

It's funny how in the 80's and 90's grouse started to reclaim lands farther east in SD thanks to CRP. Now in the name of being 'Green' and 'Free' they are being forced into smaller areas then before. Everything has effects, both good and bad. This is one of the few things where I see mostly shades of gray.

Tim

Clint,

On one level I agree with you. There is more and more habitat lost every year. The places we hunted 50 years ago are long gone and never to return .......................BUT think about how that sentiment is different (or the same as) from 100 years ago. At that time there were hardly any deer in Wisconsin for example, all the old growth timber had been cut, they raped the lakes and the land without any conscious. Since the time of TR the conservation movement has exploded. Up until this past year our deer harvest increased just about every year and was up to 350,000 just for gun hunting PLUS 90,000 bow kills PLUS who knows how many killed by cars. In 1961, the first year I deer hunted the total kill for all seasons and all means was 90,000. Certainly, our pheasant population has dropped here in Wisconsin since the 60's due IMO to herbisides keeping the corn fields clean but what was it 100 years ago? How many salmon were caught in Lake Michigan even 50-60 years ago? None, they weren't even in they lake. Do you realize that the visibility in Lake Michigan 40-50 years ago was 10 FEET? It's now 40-50 ft. Speaking of lakes, remember when Lake Erie used to catch fire? It's now one of the premier fisheries in the country. In the 20 years we have fished it the lake has just gotten better and better. I just got back from a week driving around central Kansas - do you know that they have something like 1,000,000 acres of private land available for public hunting now (the WIHA program). What an absolutely tremendous program.

Yes, we have a lot to lament but we also have a ton of successes that have meant more opportunities to enjoy the outdoors. I am one of those apparently rare individuals that think the people who are in charge of our land, fish, wildlife are doing a fantastic job. They are getting successes in spite of reduced habitat and the ever demanding "sportsmen". I have rarely met a more professional, dedicated group in ANY industry. Yep, the way we do things is changing but rather than fight the "I can't change" attitude, try to embrace it and change with it. In recent years my success in the outdoors has increased substantially, both in the bag and the satisfaction department. Are my expectations lower? Not necessarily - just different.

Pete,

I agree with you on big game populations & water quality.
The big pipe discharges that wrecked our waterways nationally have all been addressed since the 1970s.
And dang, what a difference it has made. Waters that were considered dead in 1970 (Lake Erie is a good example) have rebounded. Water quality country wide, for themost part, is better today than it has been in 100+ years.

However, we still have issues to be addressed on water quality, primarily: Non-point source urban run-off (ie: urban sprawl) and nutrient overloading from large scale agriculture. Cracking these two nuts will make big pipe discharges look like a cake-walk. Telling farmers to use less fertlizer when demand for food is increasing (and competing with bio-fuel production) it tough. We need inovative solutions, and in some case, like vegeted buffers, solutions that were used a hundred years ago before industrial scale farming.
Telling mom & pop not to fertlize their yard cause their couple of pounds a year makes a difference is even harder to get across. That is one big PR/Education & Outreach nightmare.

The best news is that we know about the water issues AND we are working on it. If we are working on it, it will get done. Granted it will take awhile. Just look around at the social issues this country and the world are working on and the progress that has been made already. Who would ever have thought that the reduction in the population that smoke tobacco seen in recent years was possible.

Pete and Carl,

I agree with both of you. I work in an industry that deals with these issues everyday (auto refinishing). The large waste producers are easy to control, it's ALL the little guys that are nearly impossible to monitor.

I agree that one of the biggest things is that we have to adjust our expectations to what the conditions are. Things are constantly changing... What was once a good small game area may now be a good deer area and a once good deer area may now be a great turkey spot. Or, it might just be more urban sprawl, it's not all good stuff.

Then there is the issue of developing nations... they are doing the same things we did 50-100 years ago and will create the same problems. And we look like a bunch of greedy, controlling a-holes when we try to stop them.

Education is the answer but it is slow and expensive to implement and it doesn't compete well with the almighty dollar.

Gene

Then there is the issue of developing nations... they are doing the same things we did 50-100 years ago and will create the same problems. And we look like a bunch of greedy, controlling a-holes when we try to stop them.

Yep, we have to change the message from telling them to "change because we say to" to
"please learn from us, dont repeat our mistakes."

China is a huge issue. Their environmental conditions are terrible and rapidly deteriorating, same place or worse than we were in the 50s & 60s.

We have a urban sprawl problem here but almost as bad is the restoration of wetlands and prairies. With the help of state and federal money and sometimes along with DU they improve the habitat then lock it up tight for everything but bird watchers and walkers. Most of the local ground that was not urban sprawled has become parks and wetland reserves. Its a shame but i almost dread habitat restoration projects.

Chris

Back