how warm does it have to be to gel coat?

michael barnes

ive gotta gel coat the floor of a boat before march 17th, thats when crabbing opens up. the next couple of days are going to top out about 55 degrees, 40's at night. is that warm enough for it to set ok? or should we wait and take the chance to see if it gets any warmer before opener?

the material you are useing should give set times according temp at least the west system did, i would investigate if you can

all it says is 60 degrees. i was wondering if it would still set in 50 degree weather. i know itll be slower, but will it eventually set?

Nope.........you do not want it at 60 degrees or lower. I usually bring the shop up around 70 degrees and we use a fast primer gel, catalyzed at about 20cc per quart and it takes about 4 hrs. before we can laminate on it. When you can write on it with a ball point pen, it's ready to rock.
If you let it cool off.........it's hard to get it to restart for you. If it's going to go down to 40...don't do it.
Wait for a very warm day.....gel in the morn, after the sun has warmed it up and then set it in the sun to cure.
Lou

my friend tried it when it wasn't warm enough never set right and what a royal pain to sand off.i would wait

Make sure that the gelcoat has surfacing wax added so it will cure tack free since you won't be laying up over top of the gel like lou does.

Lou, The pen test is as old as the hills but I get the funnest looks when I tell people to write on the gel with a pen and it's ready. Been a while since I've heard someone say that. You must be older then I thought. Tom.

Lou, The pen test is as old as the hills but I get the funnest looks when I tell people to write on the gel with a pen and it's ready. Been a while since I've heard someone say that. You must be older then I thought. Tom.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, seems since we both understand the "rule of the pen", we can't be too far off in age. I FEEL young, does that count? ;)
Lou

Lou is of course absolutely right. I have seen guys using heat lamps in their shops to speed curing.

Wait till it's warm enough or turn up the gas,

Harry

Back