Hunting in Germany...

Kevin Layne

I'm thinking about a family vacation with a couple days of hunting mixed in. Anyone here have any information on such an adventure?

Last edited:
I'm thinking about a family vacation with a couple days of hunting mixed in. Anyone here have any information on such an adventure?

I'd have trouble with the language barrier, or do you mean hunting in Germany? I think most European countries are not really open to non residents, but don't know that first hand...

I'd have trouble with the language barrier, or do you mean hunting in Germany? I think most European countries are not really open to non residents, but don't know that first hand...
Fixed it.

I would check on line with a few of the booking agents. The Detail Company does Argentina etc, check with other
booking agents. Harrisburg Outdoor Show NJ should have agents there.

Kevin~

My daughter lives in Berlin. I know from talking with her friends that the process is complex, rigorous and expensive. I have never asked about non-residents but residents have to go through a long training process to get licensed and then an expensive process to secure a place and time to hunt. Sorry I do not have more details. The gun owners I know there are target shooters but not hunters.

Asking an agent - as suggested - would be a quick way to find out.

All the best,

SJS

A resident has to pass a very difficult testing process to obtain the right to hunt, along with some other requirements before a hunting license is issued. The right to own firearms is also tied to that license. I do not know the rules for US residents coming over to hunt but the two resources listed below should help you out in learning what needs to be done. The .pdf explains the "rules" and the link to the Army site provides some contact information for you that may be able to better explain the rules. They may be able to point you to an outfitter if they know of one (or if one exists).

http://grafenwoehr.armymwr.com/...g-fishing-sport-sho/

http://www.face.eu/...files/germany_en.pdf

In case anyone wants to get an idea what a german hunter must learn before being issued a license just scroll down the army link I sent and look for "hunting instructional material". If we had to learn all of the same information about the game we hunt there would be less hunters!

I'd be happy to hunt ANYTHING that would provide a new experience. Might be able to work in Austria, Switzerland, or the Netherlands if that helped?

I can't help much with those locations. I looked around our Belgium and the Netherlands locations and did not find anything related to hunting.

Although I have no direct experience with this, I think that you can hunt wherever you want in the world-if you have the money. Europe has some fine hunting, but my guess is you are not going to go and buy a non-resident license and go out to the local game lands for a couple of days. I think you are looking at a fee hunting arrangement, and it wouldn't surprise me to hear of $1-2K per day. The tradition in Europe is that the landowner owns the game, not the state, and large estates often use the revenue help to operate the places. I do think if you were in the British Isles somewhere you might be able to find fowling easier, or even in Scandinavia. There is a fellow that sometimes posts here from England and is a lab guy, somebody here will remember his name, he could probably give you an idea of what you are looking at. Good luck and I hope you find something, it would be fun for sure.

When we went to Germany two years ago at Christmas, I met our friends neighbor, who is a hunter. From what he told me, its almost impossible for a non-citizen to hunt in Germany. He basically said that he was not even supposed to let me handle his firearms, if he let me shoot one he could lose his certifications & all his guns.

I have heard that Denmark and the other Nordic Countries are a little easier. At one time, there was a guy from Denmark on here. They hunted sneak box-style boats painted white for divers and sea ducks.

Good morning, Carl~

"[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]he was not even supposed to let me handle his firearms, if he let me shoot one he could lose his certifications & all his guns."

Where in New York State was this?????? (Actually, there would also be jail time here in the Empire State......)

All the best,

SJS

[/font]

You might have a better chance at hunting in Sweden. I have heard that a number of Germans do hunt in Sweden.

Roe deer hunting is poplar in southern Sweden.

George~

My high school Latin is a bit rusty, so I have wondered lately if our State motto - Excelsior - translates as "Constitution? We don't need no stinking Constitution...."

All the best,

SJS

In case anyone wants to get an idea what a german hunter must learn before being issued a license just scroll down the army link I sent and look for "hunting instructional material". If we had to learn all of the same information about the game we hunt there would be less hunters!

I've a copy of the US Forces Europe Guide to Hunting and Fishing, and everything Mark's posted is spot on.

I have also received invitations from several friends in Germany who've when I asked about licensing, etc. just replied, "... don't worry about the formalities...".

One thing for sure, we'd have fewer (possible much better) hunters here if we all had to pass the German hunting exam, not to mention the expense of their hunting license.

The preparation for the exam is akin to a 2-year Associates Degree in Forestry and Wildlife Management.

The social aspects of hunting are deeply woven into pagan, Christian, and social tradition... the Jagermeister liquor symbol for instance is the Patron saint of hunting St. Hubert of the Argonne. Breach of a hunting custom is almost treated as breaking a law.

And, hanging a deer on a car hood or parading down the highway with one conspicuously strapped to the tailgate is akin to blasphemy... they hold GREAT respect for the wild game that they harvest. Hoofed game is laid on its right side, an "ownership" branch placed on its ribs, and a symbolic "last bite" placed in its mouth. A moment of silence or prayer is said... anyone who's seen the film Last of the Mohicans would draw an analogy to the native American's reverence for the deer taken in the opening scene.

Lastly, "harvest" is not a euphemism. Germans manage their relatively small population of wildlife pretty strictly. Hunting laws are Federal with some small state responsibility. Harvest plans must be made by lessees and submitted to state Foresters for approval. You must own or have access to a trained/tested/certified dog to insure that no game killed is lost, as the landowner owns the game and the lessee must purchase it after the kill, or the landowner sells the meat at market.

I hope this is has been of value to all,

Bob

Back