hunting in Maine

Oh once they hear my southern drawl, they'll know i'm from faaaaaar away

Dani said:
i've been told you gotta say it right too....something like pahtridge

We're hunting "pats". The "a" is mostly pronounced like "ah!" but with just the slightest hint of an "r" in there towards the end. If anyone can actually hear "r" it's too much. It's sort of like getting just the right amount of a spice into a dish you are cooking that people are aware it's there, but not so much that someone can tell exactly what it is.

If road hunting, they're ditch chickens--an entirely different activity.

Jeff Reardon said:
We're hunting "pats". The "a" is mostly pronounced like "ah!" but with just the slightest hint of an "r" in there towards the end. If anyone can actually hear "r" it's too much. It's sort of like getting just the right amount of a spice into a dish you are cooking that people are aware it's there, but not so much that someone can tell exactly what it is.

If road hunting, they're ditch chickens--an entirely different activity.

See....I was taught that these are ditch chickens

i-c7gdc8Z-XL.jpg

Dani said:
See....I was taught that these are ditch chickens

[.img]https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-c7gdc8Z/0/92684f0b/XL/i-c7gdc8Z-XL.jpg[/img]

That's what we always called pheasants. Heard guys in upstate NY call grouse/partridge a thunder chicken.

I am going to be talking to the trainer this evening I think, but it looks like I may not be heading to Maine this year. I may be spending the first few days of my time off in Arkansas picking up Reggie and getting acquainted with how he has been trained. It may be that I will have the time to head to Nebraska though. Maybe chase some pheasant and quail and prairie grouse. I definitely wouldn't be able to make it to Maine and back and get to do much exploring before having to get home for work.

Hopefully I will know more this evening.

Dani said:
I am going to be talking to the trainer this evening I think, but it looks like I may not be heading to Maine this year. I may be spending the first few days of my time off in Arkansas picking up Reggie and getting acquainted with how he has been trained. It may be that I will have the time to head to Nebraska though. Maybe chase some pheasant and quail and prairie grouse. I definitely wouldn't be able to make it to Maine and back and get to do much exploring before having to get home for work.

Hopefully I will know more this evening.

Good luck with the pup.

I don't think you are missing much with Maine this year, I'm 6 hours away and I could be there this week and didn't go.

I have yet to hear a positive partridge report--and I've heard a lot of negative ones.

You're not missing much.

Dani said:
Well that's good to know

and THANKS!

Consider this vote number three for you making a good choice not to hunt Maine this year. Best of luck with your new puppy, you'll have fun with him regardless of where you are. Those grouse will wait 'til next year, or the year after.

Back