Todd Duncan Tennyson

Old woman knocked on my door’
I opened it and asked why

“I need your help to lift Karl
everyone is gone and I cant do it alone”
I said
“OK let me grab my hat”

The old lady bears his weight
And the weight of her kids and their kids (that she is having to raise)

Karl : a Sequoia a Big strong labor ready man.
Could have killed an entire hockey team once…
Noble and angry and sick
Dark and amputated
cancered and bitter

He thanked me as I lifted his naked emaciated body
His bags and stubs and tubes and pain

I said, “you bet Karl,
don’t sweat it that is what good neighbors do”

On the way out, I asked the old woman to come to me
And she did

I grabbed on to her
hugged her until I thought she might break..

But she couldn’t

She sobbed
There was just too much in the balance

I didn’t have a plan,
and didn’t know how to solve her problem.

I am not certain how it is possible for the weight of the world to rest upon the shoulders of a tiny old woman,

I do not understand why
if you’ve got a praying bone in your body
Then pray for these folks tonight

Wow. Prayers for all the Karl's and old women out there. We all know them and should try to do what we can. Sometimes a hug and a prayer are all we can do.

Best wishes,
Gene

That reminds me of a story I once was told when I happened to be a third world country in very poor circumstances....

A young missionary arrive in a remote village fill with dispairation, hunger and disease. He was still wearing his "nice" clean clothes as he had just arrived from the states. As many locals crouded around him begging and pleading for whatever he could spare, he passed out all the cions he had and eventually all the bills that were on his person. He quickly realized that even though he had give all he had it did not put a dent in the situation. He was so struck by thier plight that eventually emptied his bank accounts back home and it still made little difference. One evening after being living in this village six weeks or so totaly beside himself with frustation bordering anger he bowed his head in prayer. He asked: Oh Lord I do not understand, these people have great faith in you, they work harded than any human should have to just to survive. Why Lord, why won't you help them???? The Lord then answered him.... I did, I sent them you.........

I heard the story 13 years ago and still hold it close today. It always reminds me of what my real job is on this earth.
My thoughts and prayers are with Karl and this tiny lady with a huge load to carry.

Back