Illinois River Decoy History...

Pat Gregory

Tim Speight and I take some wonderful "Duck Treks" together. Sometimes, we load up to check out decoys, sometimes, duck boats and various other waterfowling interests. Today Tim and I visited a decoy auction in Princeton, Illinois. Princeton, being along the Illinois River is home to rich waterfowling heritage and traditions. Noted decoy carvers like Charles Walker and Charles Althoff were from Princeton as well as the historic Princeton Gun Club.

Today, over 400 vintage Illinois River decoys were auctioned from famous collector Gerald "Gabe" Junker of Pekin, IL. Gabe began collecting decoys in the 1940's and owned 2,000 - 3,000 decoys before he passed. I had the privilege of knowing Gabe and he was quite a character and an ardent collector. What was unique about Gabe was he purchased entire rigs. He bought up many of the old handmade rigs when duck hunters were moving to paper mache and plastic decoys. He bought Ed Keller's entire rig and, Lou Kelly's rig. He was a large contributor of pictures and history to the book "Decoys and Decoy Carvers of Illinois" by Paul Parmalee and Forrest Loomis. Many of the decoys that sold today were pictured in that book.

Needless to say, neither Tim or I came home empty handed. I picked up a wonderful bluebill drake by Henry "Doc" Taubert from Pekin, Il. Classic Illinois River bluebill. I also landed an oversized canvasback drake by Perry Wilcoxen of Liverpool, IL. This decoy came from the famed Thompson Lake Gun Club (now Emiquon Refuge). Gabe bought the entire rig of these cans...

I thank the Lord for days like today. I appreciate Tim's company and the time we shared. I also am thankful for the great waterfowling heritage people like Gabe Junker left us...
View attachment PICT0109.JPG
View attachment PICT0110.JPG
View attachment PICT0111.JPG
View attachment PICT0112.JPG
View attachment PICT0106.JPG

Last edited:
Nice decoys....one of these days I need to go to some of those auctions...would like to find one or two for the mantel....

I love the style of that scaup. Beautiful blocks! The more I see of Illinois River area style decoys the more I like them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice find Pat, I didnt know Wilcoxen made oversize cans. I have handled a few regular blocks. Nice pick. Bob

Ryan - Honestly, you should go to the Decoys and Decoy Carvers of Illinois book and check out the work of Wallace Young of Lacon Illinois. They are a dead ringer of that mallard you posted.

Bob - The oversized Wilcoxen cans were a special order for the Thompson Lake Gun Club (aka Indianapolis Rod and Gun Club, now Emiquon National Wildlife Refuge.) Gabe bought the entire rig and slowly sold them into the collectors arena sometime beginning the late 1980's/early 1990's. Many of the down river decoy makers gunned where you and I gun. Men like, Charles Smith, Perry Wilcoxen, John Warren and Virgil Lashbrook to name a few...

We have been blessed here on the Illinois River with such a rich waterfowling heritage... Pat

Pat- That is the reason I carved it! I changed it to fit "my style" but it was the inspiration for that carving. I found this picture online and thought it looked cool.

52_2.jpg

P1000893.jpg

Sound like I need that book.

Awesome Ryan! You did a great job because I saw Wallace Young all over it. He'd be proud. I hope you harvest some mallards over it this season...

Back