I'm Too Young to Die!

Al Hansen

I was mired in mud up to my waist and thinking at the time, “I am much too young to die.” I nervously looked about wondering when the tide was going to be coming in. It was then that I glanced at my two partners that were on solid ground not 15 to 20 feet from me giving encouragements but to no avail it seemed.

In an instant I flashed back to a bar that, Bill, my principal and a bunch of us teachers had gone to after school on a Friday afternoon to have a few beers prior to going home. While we were there having so much fun, he told me a story of a duck hunter that had gotten stuck in the glacial mud that covers Cook Inlet. I guess this man couldn’t get out of the situation that he was in and eventually, even with people in boats by him, could not get him out. They even offered him a shotgun barrel to breathe through just before the rushing incoming tide washed over his head. That man lost his life out there. I remember thinking of what a horrible way that had to be to die.

As my mind focused back on reality, it was then that I shuddered just thinking that my boss and his buddy, Les, couldn’t help me one bit. At the time I was holding my Browning A-5 and I made a quick decision, checked the chamber to make sure it was empty and tried to toss it to Bill. Well, that was a good thought until I watched my gun fall just short of Bill’s outreaching hands. It darn near sunk out of sight but he did manage to reach it when Les held one of his hands and he then took a step into the mud and with his other hand groped about until he felt it and pulled it out of the slimy muck.

All this time I knew that if I tried to get out, at each struggle, one foot would sink down farther than the other . I was just getting myself deeper into the quagmire than I really wanted to be.

Our original plans were so simple. We had been watching some Canadas landing out on the mud flats when the tide went out, so we decided to hunt there on this one morning in September. By the way, Cook Inlet has some of the highest tides any place and on this morning that was no exception. All went well as the three of us picked our way out to a great looking spot to hunt. I remember the gully wash that we had to go through to get there. As we went along, the ground there was like jello. but sufficiently stable enough to let us go by and onto the mud flats. “No big deal,” I thought at the time. I was just 25 years old then. Well on this particular morning no geese showed up and to make matters worse we could hear the shots of duck hunters banging away at pintails that were flying into the marsh of the Palmer Hay Flats. It was then that we decided to go back. I was last in the line up to go across this gully wash and it was once again at that area that made you feel like you were walking on jello that my right foot sunk down about 6 inches. As I tried to pull it out, the other foot sunk down to 10 inches of glacial silt and Cook Inlet clay/mud. It was as if the area that we walked on stirred up the silt/water beneath where we had walked and it was no longer safe to be there.

Well, with Bill being able to get my shotgun and thus freeing me of holding that, I began to run some options through my mind. None of us had rope and there were no branches or logs of any sort for my to hunting friends to get to me. They had searched the area and found none. It was then that I finally realized how lucky I was because that morning when I slipped on my hip boots when we got out of the Bronco, I did not lace them up around the calves of my legs. I could still feel a smidge of freedom in each boot and I knew right then what I had to do. I took off my hunting coat and winged it to Les who was touch closer now to me and told my friends what I was going to do.

I flung my upper body face forward into the mud reaching out with my arms as far as I could trying to displace my body weight and ever so slowly began to inch out of my left boot and then right, alternating as I slowly crawled through this muck. When I got my left foot out I then found it much easier to get the right foot out and maybe looking like some creature almost totally engulfed in this quagmire, I inched my body ever so slowly out towards the dry land. Both of my hunting partners made a human chain with one on dry land holding the other as he reached out to grasp my extended hand. My God, I can’t begin to tell you how gratifying the touch of Bill's hand felt to me as they then grunted while pulling me up to firm ground.

It was almost hilarious but right then I was in no laughing mood as we began our long trek back to the parking lot up by Cottonwood Creek. Of course I was in my stocking feet because my hip boots were still right where I left them in that muck. I was totally exhausted by the time we reached the Bronco.

In retrospect, that little incident was my eye opener to being an Alaskan. I could still visualize the old-timer giving me a once over and saying, “Cheechako, this land is unforgiving and don’t you forget that!”
Al

Last edited:
Good story with a good ending.

Al, it was just this past fall that I had to use that maneuver to get unstuck from a hole in the muskeg that I stepped into. Thigh deep in almost knee high rubber boots I threw myself forward onto my belly and pulled out of my boots using a conveniently place alder as my rope. Fortunately I was then on more solid ground and was able to work my boots out by collapsing them. I was a muddy mess but laughed it off. My moose hunting partner didn't see a thing as he was about 100 ft away over a beaver dam and he wondered what the heck I had done to get so muddy. I must have looked a sight flopping around on my belly. That will teach me for trying to take a short cut across the solid looking muskeg instead of walking the extra 75 feet to the old beaver dam.

Good story with a good ending.

Al, it was just this past fall that I had to use that maneuver to get unstuck from a hole in the muskeg that I stepped into. Thigh deep in almost knee high rubber boots I threw myself forward onto my belly and pulled out of my boots using a conveniently place alder as my rope. Fortunately I was then on more solid ground and was able to work my boots out by collapsing them. I was a muddy mess but laughed it off. My moose hunting partner didn't see a thing as he was about 100 ft away over a beaver dam and he wondered what the heck I had done to get so muddy. I must have looked a sight flopping around on my belly. That will teach me for trying to take a short cut across the solid looking muskeg instead of walking the extra 75 feet to the old beaver dam.

Well, Paul, I am sure glad you got out of that mess. Now with you telling that story I am now wondering if you are still planning on a moose hunt this coming fall back in Ontario?
Al

Al, I kind of know the feeling you had.There is a river system my son and I hunt once in a while.There is a small bay in the cattails that the duck seem to love and is shallow enough to walk in.Only problem is,it's also a soft bottom.As long as one keeps moving, you don't start to sink,but stop for a short second or two and you feet are sunk in the silt.SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME!!!!!!!. I will walk in it as long as I'm holding on to the boat.but still bothers me.It's to shallow to be in the boat and set decoys.

Yeah, I was "mucked up" last fall -- hunting alone near out "Schoolhouse" cabin in southern Manitoba. Seemed that every pothole was ringed by at least 15 feet of mudflat. Even my lab had a tough time reaching water; finally decided it wasn't worth risking life for even my passion of waterfowling. Thanks for relating your experience -- I'll keep the strategy in mind if I ever get in muskeg trouble. And, hopefully, water levels will be up this fall!

Al, I kind of know the feeling you had.There is a river system my son and I hunt once in a while.There is a small bay in the cattails that the duck seem to love and is shallow enough to walk in.Only problem is,it's also a soft bottom.As long as one keeps moving, you don't start to sink,but stop for a short second or two and you feet are sunk in the silt.SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME!!!!!!!. I will walk in it as long as I'm holding on to the boat.but still bothers me.It's to shallow to be in the boat and set decoys.

Sounds like the same thing was about to happen to you, Robert. I sure am glad that you found a way to circumvent this predicament. Be careful out there next season.
Al

Yeah, I was "mucked up" last fall -- hunting alone near out "Schoolhouse" cabin in southern Manitoba. Seemed that every pothole was ringed by at least 15 feet of mudflat. Even my lab had a tough time reaching water; finally decided it wasn't worth risking life for even my passion of waterfowling. Thanks for relating your experience -- I'll keep the strategy in mind if I ever get in muskeg trouble. And, hopefully, water levels will be up this fall!

I can picture the type of area you were talking about, Steve. I have seen Chili in some mean stuff on the Rio Grande and I guess when our dogs are struggling that should tell us something. I, too, did the same thing you talked about. In fact, I have never been back to that one spot. 'Robert alluded to it in his post--- the ducks seem to love this type of area.
I sure am hoping that you had a super snow cover and that those many potholes will once again be right up to where they used to be.
Al

Last edited:
I have not had any really bad mud experiences, but I did have a similar type experience while flyfishing the upper Delaware River about 10 years ago. Where I was the river was probably 100 yards wide, and the flow seemed moderate, and it was a failry calm stretch, and the far bank was undercut and really good looking from where I was standing(grass is always greener?). So I slowly waded across, and was probably 3/4 of the way, and the water was probably at the top of my thighs or just below the waist. And I looked around and decided that in fact I did not want to be all of the way out there and it was probably a good idea to turn around and head back. Water is a mighty powerful thing when it is moving, and I had one heck of a time just getting turned around. Any of you that have waded rivers have probably experienced this at one time or another. It was all I could do to keep my footing against the current, and I felt really alone out there. Since I am typing this, you know I made it out ok, but I can tell you that it was one humbling experience, and pretty scary for a few minutes. The thing that was scary was that I was powerless to change the situation in any way, as the river was staying where it was, and I simply had to navigate it and keep my cool. After all, I had gotten out there, I could certainly get back. But when you are out there like that, all you can hear is water running and all you can feel is water pushing, you are definitely on an island and you are pretty small.

I have not had any really bad mud experiences, but I did have a similar type experience while flyfishing the upper Delaware River about 10 years ago. Where I was the river was probably 100 yards wide, and the flow seemed moderate, and it was a failry calm stretch, and the far bank was undercut and really good looking from where I was standing(grass is always greener?). So I slowly waded across, and was probably 3/4 of the way, and the water was probably at the top of my thighs or just below the waist. And I looked around and decided that in fact I did not want to be all of the way out there and it was probably a good idea to turn around and head back. Water is a mighty powerful thing when it is moving, and I had one heck of a time just getting turned around. Any of you that have waded rivers have probably experienced this at one time or another. It was all I could do to keep my footing against the current, and I felt really alone out there. Since I am typing this, you know I made it out ok, but I can tell you that it was one humbling experience, and pretty scary for a few minutes. The thing that was scary was that I was powerless to change the situation in any way, as the river was staying where it was, and I simply had to navigate it and keep my cool. After all, I had gotten out there, I could certainly get back. But when you are out there like that, all you can hear is water running and all you can feel is water pushing, you are definitely on an island and you are pretty small.

Thanks for sharing that story, Greg. I'll bet that all of a sudden it got to be a very "lonesome" feeling out there when you had that gut feeling that something just wasn't quite right. Like you said, you got out there and could get back. However, first you had to figure out how to get turned around!
I always take a walking stick with me now which is a 4 foot piece of pvc pipe. Funny what age will do to you!
Al

Back