info on decoy

Sportplas from Knuteson's work fine. They're cheep and take lots of abuse but not very good with shot. When they start to sink just drill a hole in the tail let them drain and fill it back up with Great Stuff from Home Depot. The best are Quack Decoys they really take the abuse and shot. Drag 'em over the gunnel and bounce 'em off the deck, shoot 'em a few times and use tomorrow.

Herters, or Toledo Decoy Co. Foam Decoys are good.

They can take stray shot without sinking. They are a well respected Decoy for big water. Herters are harder to get, and more expensive now that they've been discontinued through Cabelas. Simple black buoys made of foam would be good enough to do the job though in most cases, and would also be fine if accidentally shot...

It all really depends on what your Needs, and Budget dictate. A good well-made Sea-Duck Rig will not need much maintenance, will last, and work well to fool Ducks, but could cost a lot. Lesser expensive Plastic Decoys are eventually going to get shot-holes here & there, but generally don't hold up as well to abuse, and almost need to be disposable once they're worn.

The new GHG's that are coming out look great, but there's lot of complainers out there who always rip GHG Dekes. I have a bunch with very few complaints. I would get those, or Herters equivalent if it was me, and Hunt with only a few+ dozen on long-lines concentrating on hunting Spots the Ducks are already using...

Donald,
If you want, take a gander (waterfowling pun intended) at the E. Allen Decoys that we manufacture. We have Oldsquaw, Super Mag. Oldsquaw, Harlequin, Super Mag. Harlequin, Giant Scoters & Giant Eiders. Pics are on the website: www.lockstockbarrell.com on the unpainted decoys page. You can also download the 62 page catalog and have a look through that also.
Holler with questions and let me know how we can be of service.
Lou

If you think great sea duck hunting is 70 yard passing shots like most of the idiots out there then go with the painted bottles. If you want to shoot decoying birds then put a little money and/or effort into it. Sure, in the early season you might have a few good tolls of young birds to anything painted black, but you'll be twiddling your thumbs most of the time. Get Plasti-duks and paint them yourself.

If you think great sea duck hunting is 70 yard passing shots like most of the idiots out there then go with the painted bottles. If you want to shoot decoying birds then put a little money and/or effort into it. Sure, in the early season you might have a few good tolls of young birds to anything painted black, but you'll be twiddling your thumbs most of the time. Get Plasti-duks and paint them yourself.

I'm with you Dave real Stool make all the difference in the world. Scoters and Eider are not stupid at all. The right rig makes all the difference in the world. When the tide is raging out here and the decoys have wakes comming off themmost of the shot are over the stool passing by, when the tide backs off they're belly up. Boat placement is very critical too. To close is the kiss of death, too far and all your shots are long. I hate it when people don't give them the credit they're due. So many people think you just go out plop some jugs in the water and blow em up. On a given day I guess that happens, But I'd rather have a good rig of decoys that look like the target species , not like I'm going to do the laundry.

Last edited:
Back