It is a nice thing when...

tod osier

Gold Sponsor
you change the lower unit lube and it is crystal clear. :) Although my F40 has been great, the upper seals on the lower unit have failed several times, so I'm always leery when I pull the plugs to drain the unit. I'm in the clear this time!

I drained the lower unit a few years back on my Merc 40 and it was a tad cloudy. Rushed for time I refilled it. Checked it after the season and no milkiness. Not sure how water got in but it has stopped, for now. Now I'll whence whenever I start to loosen the plug.

I drained the lower unit a few years back on my Merc 40 and it was a tad cloudy. Rushed for time I refilled it. Checked it after the season and no milkiness. Not sure how water got in but it has stopped, for now. Now I'll whence whenever I start to loosen the plug.
I,ve experienced that cloudiness/milkiness' once on my 90 etec when draining lower unit oil. Was a bit miffed as I,d recently had lower unit seal replaced under warranty due to fishing line cutting it. Found out after some searching that some brands of lower unit oil will get that cloudiness on their own between changes. That particular time I had waited 3 years to change it as boat wasn't being used a lot. After that I went to yearly changes on all 3 motors and have never found the cloudiness again in any.

I,ve experienced that cloudiness/milkiness' once on my 90 etec when draining lower unit oil. Was a bit miffed as I,d recently had lower unit seal replaced under warranty due to fishing line cutting it. Found out after some searching that some brands of lower unit oil will get that cloudiness on their own between changes. That particular time I had waited 3 years to change it as boat wasn't being used a lot. After that I went to yearly changes on all 3 motors and have never found the cloudiness again in any.

I agree that this is a thing, foamy oil that looks milky. I always drain into a clear container to find water in the first run that comes out.

Back