It's all about the big "O"

Dave Sharpe

Gonna give Okeechobee a try. Would appreciate any advice on decoys - species, number, areas to hunt, boat, will a 14 foot jon boat and a 25 hp work on shallow drive - do I need an air boat? gators, bird behavior, potential problems. Thanks Dave

you're going to find Okeechobee an Evil Mistess this season. Water levels are at the lowest in recoded history and it would take a full blown Hurricane, stalled over the lake, to get it to level where you could operate there in any boat other than an airboat....even the mud motor guys will eiyher be bitching about getting stuck, or walking in this year. Even with an airboat you'll need a boat that you can "dry ground" if you're going to access more than just the rim canals, (which in low water aren't good places to hunt since that where all the non-airboats will be)....

Ultimately the low water will be a godsend to the lake and it will be in terrific shape once water levels start to come back up...until then I'd recommend looking to hunting in places that will be far more productive and way less tough to access.....(my bet is that with access being so tough this year that spots that can be reached that are holding ducks are going to be carefully guarded secrets that are burned out quickly)......

Look to the STA's in South Florida for good hunting this year in that area....

Steve

Hey Steve, Thanks. Do you have a source for current water levels in Okeechobee? You used to live in Florida if memory serves. Is your brother still in Billings? Have you ever hunted Istokpoga? Seems the water there is down a little but not as much as Okeechobee.
Thanks, BigSkyDave

wait at the sta's for a second hand permit,it will take a miracle for the lake to get up to 13 feet by season. its been raining alot down here, and still the lake is way low, for the whole summer it only went up less than a foot.the way its going im starting to think it may not be up to safe levels for the 2008-09 season

How about the Kissimmee River near Okeechobee? Someone I talked to said he used to have good luck hunting there? Thanks

His wife is a Dentist and they own a practice there...he always said he knew he wanted to live there and to my knowledge he hasn't left the State since they moved there 10 years ago....I haven't seen him in five years at least but will stop back by his place on the way home from Manitoba to visit in October......

I lived in Florida from the time I was 8 until my early 30's, and then hunted there regularly for antoher 15 or so years....in the last 10 though I've hunted very little there except or some great trips with John Hitchcock further North than where your thinking about.....

I've hunted the Kississimee and Istopoga but its been YEARS so any information that would have on those would be so dated as to be worthless.....heck I hunted the MINWR for 30+ years but barely recognized it last Christmas when I drove through it and its only been 5 or so years since I was hunting there regularly.....

From everything I hear the STA's are the place to go.....Public, managed pressure, plenty of food, they hold birds and they certainly aren't a secret.....the biggest drawback for you is that they are "draw" and I beleive thats already done for the season.....you can get on the "wait line" though and from all appearances except on opening weekends and a week or two afterwards, plus Holidays, have a good chance of getting on.....

Good luck....Florida still has GREAT Duck Hunting but it either cowded, (STA's, Broadmoor or MINWR), or takes specialized equipment, (mud boats/airboats), plus TIME to learn.......

Steve

Thanks Steve,

We finished building a house on Istokpoga last winter. We'll be heading back down there the beginning of Nov. Once, a couple years ago, I saw huge rafts of ringbills on the lake. But last year I saw few ducks all winter and heard little shooting. So this winter I figgered on heading over to Okeechobee. I'd forgotten how low the water there was getting last spring.

Anyway for future reference, I'd still like to know how many and what kind of dekes I should haul from Montana to Florida, and what type of boat(s) is needed for hunting Okeechobee in normal years.

you had good numbers of birds on the lake one year and almost none the next I'd "guess" that the lake was sprayed to knock down emergant vegetation, (hydrilla or hyacinths)......never forget that Florida is a BASS FISHING STATE and a PLEASURE BOATING STATE and the relatively few Duck Hunters there are aren't normally taken into consideration when a lake is heavily overgrown with duck attracting hydrilla that makes it a great place to duck hunt but a poor place to fish and water ski.....when that happens the contract sprayers come in and by the time they're gone you're looking at three or four years before there will be a reason for the ducks to come back......

United Waterfowlers~Florida is the only entity that I know that is working for Duck Hunting interests these days.....they'd appreciate your membership, www.unitedwaterfowlersfl.org , which would help them try to stop blanket spraying in the future.....(plus they have a MEMBERS ONLY website exclusive to Florida where you can get current info on lakes and birds and where you "might" get someone to give up a spot)

Boats for Okeechobee......if I was hunting Okeechobee these days it would be out of an airboat and a MoMarsh layout......when I hunted it, and I "think" the technique is still the same when the water levels are normal, we ran till we found ducks in a pothole....they'd flush, we'd set up there in innertubes after chasing the gators and snakes away, and then shoot em when they came back. In mpst cases this happened "quickly" so you don't want to be piddling around once you flush birds out........An Airboat was the best way to find birds quickly and the inner tubes allowed you to operate away from the "condo" that an airboat often looks like in the marsh.....get lucky on where you found birds and you could sometimes pull the airboat into the cattails or willows and shoot from the boat but the "little boats" will give you the ability to hunt no matter what the vegetation ht......

Mud Motors have become hugely popular in Florida of late and they are an option....they provide the advantage of being able to hunt out of them if you can get them to the birds but, to me, (I'll qualify that so anyone with a mud motor takes pity on me and invites me to hunt the PROPER WAY to prove me wrong--I'll be in Florida the week after Christmas for all mud motor owners who wish to call BullShit and prove me wrong), the airboat would be the way to go, faster, covers more territory, you can run it dry, bust it through cattails and willows if you have to, and its just all around neater to be sitting 7' over the water going 30knots than churning though the mud at 3.....

Decoys.....Ringnecks, Teal and Mottled Ducks thats what you'll be shooting there predominantely.....never felt the need for large spreads, and in fact thats unnatural for Mottled Ducks which, unlike Mallards, aren't normally going to gang up in huge flock, to hunt Okeechobee.....you'll be hunting relatively small pockets in the vegetation and if you've done your job and scouted they'll "want" to be there.....in some pockets a dozen decoys will be crowded....in others a couple of dozen will look nice and be appreciated by the hunters.....the Teal and Ringnecks won't really care about numbers because they'll be coming there anyway and the decoys are more of a "land RIGHT HERE" invitation and not the long range attraction that big Mallard and Diver rigs are on open water.......

I'd go (18) or so Ringnecks, a dozen Teal, (not because they're really needed but because they're so small and cute), and (3) Mottled Ducks, (Hen Mallards work fine for this).....put the Mottled Ducks off to the side by themselvs and if the give you a passing shot in range TAKE IT....shoot the biggest one first...(limits one a day so thats not hard to do)...and "most" of the time you'll be shooting the drake out of the pair. If there are Whistling Ducks in the area decoys specific to them are nice, (natives will tell you they don'tt decoy but thats only true because only a very few use decoys specific to them). These you'll have to either make yourself or have carved by someone....

Thats about it....sort of like hunting the spring creeks in Montana when everything else is frozen.....if you know where the birds are it more about shooting than decoying cause you're right where they want to go.....the difference is that on the Sping Creeks you're on the only open water....on Okeechobee you'll need MULTIPLE spots with birds because "most times" a pothole won't stand up to multiple days of shooting....PLUS you can count on the fact that if you find a honey hole that those hunters close to you will be in that spot while the smokes still curling out of the last empty hull on the water as you leave it.....

Steve

Dave,
your best areas are on the northwest side of the lake from buckhead ridge to the monkey box. Steve has given good advice about techniques and decoy selection. The running and finding potholes in the marsh are your best bets however if the divers are in seek open water as most people do not hunt out there. We used to hunt large rafts of bluebills on the east side also with the low water I am not sure about the Kissimmee river. However, there are some places we use to walk in and shoot teal and snipe. Good luck.

I am headed to Okeechobee this winter also so thanks for the info in this thread. I will only be there for a few days attending a hunt test with my dogs and I thought I might take in a guided hunt or two. A couple I have contacted said their duck spots were too gator infested to use dogs so, if anyone has any info on a spot that guides hunts during the weekday mornings on a farm ponds or similar where the gators might not be so bad I would appreciate a post.

Thanks

Back