Jackson County WMAs

Eric Patterson

Staff member
Friday Thomas and I drove to Jackson County to see how the WMA crops were fairing. In particular the dewatering areas that are planted with grains in spring/summer and flooded each winter to attract waterfowl. It has been a terribly wet year making it difficult, if not impossible, to plant for ducks so it was no surprise to find them inundated with water. Full winter pool no less. I wrote the state biologist asking if they were going to try and plant again or if this year's crops were going to be a bust. For the benefit of those on this forum who hunt Jackson County I got the follwoing reply.

Eric,

We had everything planted and ready to go and then it rained for about 4-5
straight days and the river crested its bank for several days. We are currently
trying to pump all the water out and the plan is to plant millet to try and
have something out there for the wintering waterfowl.

Seth Maddox
Wildlife Biologist
Jackson County Waterfowl Management Areas & Refuges
Alabama Dept. of Conservation & Natural Resources
Division of Wildlife &Freshwater Fisheries

I would bet Swan is in the same shape. It has just been ridicuously wet this year. We need the rain to stop in order to dry out, hopefully in time to plant. Realistically there are about three weeks left to plant or the growing season will be too short.

Just heard that the north and south ends of Swan Creek were okay and that other areas, like Pie Cut, were replanted. However, the Fingers were lost and will probably not be replanted.

Too bad ... I like to watch the ducks work there in the evenings even though I dont hunt Swan Creek personally.

Back