Kamikaze at 11 O'clock! (Lots of pictures)

You've done it again, Al, captured some great shots right there in your backyard! I've seen so-called "professionals" not getting shots such as these. My wife loves 'em -- as she really gets into hummers, but not so much ducks ...

Hey Steve,
Had to chuckle about what you said regarding your wife and ducks. Same thing here with Bev. Last evening I noticed quite a few of them hanging around the feeders which is a good sign. Last year we hardly had any stop and use this area because of the drought, I think. Thanks for those comments. Check your PMs.
Al

Mine got here the first part of the week. They look in the picture window to let me know they are here. They've done that the last two summers. Appearently looking for the lady that used to feed them. I didn't intend to fill the feeders last year but after they got here and hung around the window for a couple of days I relented.

Howard, I am glad to hear that you also have that sympathetic streak in you, just like me. Every year the same thing happens to me, with them hovering outside the window looking in seemingly saying, "Well, when are you going to put out our feeder?"
Al

WOW those are awesome. and the Hummers are pretty cool too!

Okay, Dang it. We have a few buzz around the house each year but don't seem to stick around long. Maybe I need to get the right kind of flowers? Anyone got any help for what I should plant for them. Love it when they do buzz by but sure would like to have them stick around. Look like lovely creatures to watch.

Well, Tony, you can do a few things that might help. First of all get their attention by putting up a feeder or two. If you have the ruby throated variety you might consider two small feeders because of the dominant characteristics that they display. The only word they seem to know is "mine" or " all mine" They are very territorial, just like the rufous hummer that we get out here.
Once you have their attention with the feeders and they know where to come for a meal start checking your local nurseries asking them what kind of flowers they have that would attract hummers and or the internet for perennials to plant. See what type of flowers the hummingbirds like to go to and what will grow well in your temperate zone. That is what Bev and I have done here to attract them. Good luck.
Al

IMG_1665.jpg
[/URL]

I was standing about 2 feet away from the feeder when I took these shots.

P8210412.jpg
[/URL]

P1010064.jpg
[/URL]

Great photos! Those hummingbirds reminds me of a trip into the Colorado Rockies several years ago to an old mining ghost town ,now tourist stop. Hummingbirds were as thick as bees. If you wore a bright colored hat or shirt you were literally swarmed by opportunistic hummers looking for nectar. Best I remember there were at least 4 different species.

Great photos! Those hummingbirds reminds me of a trip into the Colorado Rockies several years ago to an old mining ghost town ,now tourist stop. Hummingbirds were as thick as bees. If you wore a bright colored hat or shirt you were literally swarmed by opportunistic hummers looking for nectar. Best I remember there were at least 4 different species.

Thank you, Tom. Isn't it amazing how something so small can impact your life with memories that always bring a smile to your face? They seem to show no fear.
Al

Back