KUIU waders review

This is the first I've seen them mentioned but they have my interest piqued. My Sitkas made it six seasons before they started leaking and they are without a doubt the best wader I've ever worn. Nothing even comes close. I am sending them off for new boots. But, I was told they have changed boots, and not for the better, and this concerns me as everyone knows the boot makes or breaks a wader. The KUIU boot looks outstanding. I wish they had foam in the knees like Sitkas because boat hunting means a lot of knee contact, especially in a Devlin. That is a feature I don't want to lose. I think I am going to call Sitka and enquire about their new boot. If they have gone away from a neoprene based insulated boot and are using some thinsulate like crap I will be in the market for a new wader brand. This wouldn't be the first time a company made an awesome product and then cost engineered themselves out of the very features that made them the best on the market.

I'm always shocked that anyone prefers boot foot waders over stocking foot waders with wading boots. I came to waterfowling after several decades of fishing and working in waders, and over in the fishy world, almost everyone prefers stocking foots with wading boots. Much more support if wading in rocky rivers; better for days that involve a mix of hiking and wading; better in mud because the boots do not get sucked off. But I'm clearly in the minority both here in the DB.net community and with my waterfowling friends. So--what's the advantage of boot foot waders that makes them preferred by other waterfowlers?

As for the original question, I have not tried the Kuiu waders, but from what I've seen of their other gear it is excellent and also (but also?) really expensive. I'd say the same about Sitka, or about Simms and Patagonia, who in my opinion have had best designed and most durable stocking foot waders for a long time. A newcomer that is a little more price-friendly is Dryft waders.

My concern with stocking foot waders was always concerns with warmth.
Do you need a pair of "cold weather" wading boots to account for wearing thick socks?

Have any of you tried their new flex wader?

No feedback on the waders. I have a fair amount of their stuff :oops: and it has almost always held up well given its intended purpose. I had a backpack suspension start to fail and they were great with warranty support.

Man, I'd want to touch a pair of waders before committing that amount of money.

Man, I'd want to touch a pair of waders before committing that amount of money.

This is the problem with a lot of the brands. Other than Cabelas and maybe those who live locally to Rogers or maybe Macks PW, you cannot actually check them out or try them on. I had a discussion about this with another board member. A lot of the newer brands: Sitka, Kuiu, Chene, etc are all cut very athletic/slim and not really made for boat hunting (sitting down). I don't necessarily have a problem spending $800-$900 on a pair with a lifetime warranty. The issue is the fit.

Fun fact about the Kuiu, they're made by Simms. Says right at the bottom in fine print:

*Best in class warranty provided by Simms® Fishing of Bozeman, Montana

If you guys buy waders with a lifetime warranty, print out that warranty to keep with your receipt. Orvis used to offer a lifetime warranty on their waders. They quit offering that warranty and the fact that I had the lifetime warranty paperwork printed out with my receipt is the only reason that they honored it. And they let me know that we will offer it just this time but never again for you. The had a pair of waterfowling waders that had lace up boot feet. Same shoe type that the Cabelas Tundra hip boot had. That hip boot was the best hip boot I have ever had and the Orvis chest waders are the best waders I ever had. Neither are made anymore. I should have bought a second pair.

So just passing on something I learned the hard way....lifetime warranties can change. Keep that info with your receipt because it might be the only way you can get them to honor the warranty that was available at the time of buying their product.

No experience with the Kuiu waders, but I am absolutely convinced of spending the money on "lifetime warranty" waders

I went through a pair of Cabelas Supermag neoprenes every year for quite some time. It was no issue because they would replace them every year. Sometime around 2016 or 2017 I made my yearly trip to Cabelas to get my new pair for the year. The lady at the counter told me they wouldn't replace them anymore and the Supermags no longer had a lifetime warranty. So my search began.

I went through Banded, Frog Toggs, etc and finally broke down and bought a pair of Sitka waders. I wore those for 4 seasons of hard hunting and never had a single leak. Matter of fact my buddy is still wearing them today.

When I bought my sitkas the biggest boot they made was a 13, so they were always tight on me. Last year I sold them to a buddy and I bought Chene waders in the bigger foot size. I am one season in on those and love them, but I do miss the kneepads in the sitka waders and the D ring on the belt

All that said, I went from spending 300 bucks a year on waders to nothing, so the lifetime waders definitely work out in the end

My cousin got a pair of the TideWe brand and likes them. They have some that are heated which I don't see a need in but some people might like that. Seems like i wouldn't want an electrical system like that in the water and risk leaks and shocks.

A guy at work has that brands rain jacket and loves it. I have a hunting backpack that I like but wouldn't say I love.

My concern with stocking foot waders was always concerns with warmth.
Do you need a pair of "cold weather" wading boots to account for wearing thick socks?
I do not, but I have never suffered from cold feet. Light liner socks, good wool socks, neoprene wader bootie, and a wading boot. As long as my feet stay dry, and I've got enough layers on topside, I'm comfortable.

I went and looked at this brand as I had never heard of them before. So Simms is building the waders for them which is probably good, Simms has always made and/or sold good waders. As far as the warranty goes, normal wear and tear doesn't get you a new pair, like Cabela's and Orvis and others used to do. You have to go to the wader warranty tab to see that, but they will repair them. Those Cabela's types of warranties never last, they can't long term because people figure it out and just replace them every couple of years and the profit goes out and sayonara. So I don't buy anything because of a lifetime warranty. It's like a 40 year warranty on a roof, who exactly is going to be around 27 years from now to honor it? Nobody. But I am interested in these waders, and if they ever come out with a stocking foot model, I would be even more interested, as that is the only thing I use anymore also. I use neoprenes for cold weather and my feet stay warm enough to be comfortable, and that would be down to 25 degrees. Colder than that, I'm not out in my boat......maybe colder than 30...

Just remember a lifetime warranty becomes useless if the company goes belly up. Not saying KUIU or others will go belly up, just that it is always a possibility in todays world unfortunately.

I'm just not sure how to justify paying almost $1K for a pair of waders.

Carl

All but the expensive waders are made in China and we all know about Chinese wader longevity. I was a LaCrosse owner for many years and in the early going I'd get 5+ seasons from a pair of waders. Then the quality went to shit and they would start leaking in the crotch with no more than a single season worth of use. I was spending $250 every year for waders that LEAKED in about a year. Six years ago I bought a pair of Sitka for $800 that made it all the way to this season before the boots started leaking. So simple math says had I stuck with LaCrosse I would have forked over $1500. Instead, I paid $800 and will be sending mine off this year for new boots at a charge of $200. $1500 vs $1000 and that $1000 got me a DRAMATICALLY more comfortable wader. It's not even a contest. Expensive waders are better and cheaper in the long run. No justification needed after you run the numbers.

Exactly.

Millions of waterfowlers over many, many years used lesser priced waders that worked for them, and none are gonna keep ya dry all the time. If yer not suffering yer not hunting, yer shooting. Running numbers applied to any kind of outdoor sport makes no sense if so there would be ZERO hunters. All hunting gear is Expendable. Sending items back is a PITA and a waste of my time. I have waders that are 30 years old and waders that are 2 years old, and others of various vintage., None cost me more than $400. So far so good.

my 2 cents

Vince

You are one tough old hunter. Not me. The older I get the harder it is to stay warm and keep up with my son and our hunting buddies. I need to stay dry and warm or it will be a short day for me. The boot of a wader is a key component for me these days.

Vince

You are one tough old hunter. Not me. The older I get the harder it is to stay warm and keep up with my son and our hunting buddies. I need to stay dry and warm or it will be a short day for me. The boot of a wader is a key component for me these days.

Eric,

I'm old but not so tough anymore. I am willing to suffer (for not as long as when younger) for certain kinds of hunting. Late season bitter cold waterfowling here in western NY? No thanks. Late season deer hunting here? Yes, as the rewards are greater for me now. Like you I enjoy warm and somewhat dry feet while hunting.

The fact is no matter how good the boot, moisture from body heat makes feet damp. I try my best to ward that off with REI silk hiking liner socks, Darn Tough Merino wool hunting socks, and HotHands Insole Foot Warmers. Also I never put on cold boots if I can help it. Warm boots causes less foot moisture for me. That combination allows me 4 or more hours of hunting without cold geezer feet. I buy every kind of HotHands product in large packages,and mark the dates so they are used in order of age. Never leave the house without em cuz ya never know.

The #1 thing for me when buying hunting & fishing gear. How Often Will I Use It? I like quality items so I can justify (in my mind) getting a fly rod for almost a grand cuz I fish from March until Nov. Almost a grand for waterfowl waders that will be used in a much shorter season? No. In fact if I were to follow the birds from Canada to far South. I'd buy 3 pairs of less expensive waders I like cuz use and storage kills waders no matter how expensive they are.

Bottom line buy and use what works for you and stick with it if possible. As for trying to keep up with younger guys, good luck with that I gave that up years ago.

Best regards
Vince

Back