Latest boat build...

Brad Taylor (NC)

Figured I haven't posted up in awhile. Customer took delivery of this DH this morning. We took her out for a test run with the 4 stroke 20. Ran well and quiet as a mouse.
WebDSC_0405.jpg

WebDSC_0406.jpg

One of the shell holders has the GPS mount bolted to it...
WebDSC_0407.jpg

Also installed a depth gauge into the control housing...
WebDSC_0408.jpg

Here you can see the movable running seat...
WebDSC_0409.jpg

The gas tank was moved to a platform built under the front deck...
WebDSC_0411.jpg

Cont...

Did a few minor changes including a splashwell so the rear is completely closed in...
WebDSC_0413.jpg

There is a false floor in the rear compartment. The bilge is located underneath the floor while the battery is mounted on the permanent side of the floor...
WebDSC_0416.jpg

We incorporated some spud pole holders on the rear of the boat for anchoring in the mud...
WebDSC_0417.jpg

I recessed the lights, which I will continue to do, much like the lights on the front of the NFZ...
WebDSC_0418.jpg

The front compartment has the usual bulb seal and raised lip to keep it dry..
WebDSC_0419.jpg

Cover locks down for travel...
WebDSC_0426.jpg

Cont...

Brad ,Thats just about perfect.Very innovative. I've always enjoyed your work, posts.
Keep um coming!

Kip
Thank you kindly Kip. One of the things we added that I forgot to mention is there is a removable shelf under each gun rack on the side. He wanted a little shelf to keep small things from rolling around in the boat while under way. Again, I appreciate the kind words.

Brad

Looks great Brad. I enjoy seeing the improvements you make to each build.

Could you post a closeup of the cover latches--or describe how they work? I'd like to lock down the cover on my boat, but I haven't come up with a method that I'm happy with.

Rick

Looks great Brad. I enjoy seeing the improvements you make to each build.

Could you post a closeup of the cover latches--or describe how they work? I'd like to lock down the cover on my boat, but I haven't come up with a method that I'm happy with.

Rick

Thanks Rick, there is a 5/16 threaded T-nut installed in the decking. The eyebolts are attached to the cover with locking nuts and fender washers on both sides, the nuts are recessed so they don't rub against the coaming. Once lined up over the threaded T nut, simply use a short 5/16 eye bolt down through the eye of the bolt coming from the cover and snug it down. It doesn't take much to hold it in place at all. I'll try and round up some pictures, if not I'll take some when I finish the boat I'm working on right now.

Brad

brad, great work. i enjoyed looking at your pictures. do you ever scarf the bottom joint on the DH? any reason why you couldnt scarf that joint? thanks alot, mark

brad, great work. i enjoyed looking at your pictures. do you ever scarf the bottom joint on the DH? any reason why you couldnt scarf that joint? thanks alot, mark

Thanks Mark. You could. Other than losing some of the left over ply from the front sheet that is used for the backer down the center of the boat which would still be needed even with the scarf to prevent too much flex. Also I do most of my work by myself and attaching a 14' piece of ply to the chines using a conventional method vs stitch and glue would be a pain.

Brad

Brad, Your boats just keep getting better and better and better....!!!! I love all the well thought out details and craftsmanship.

One day would love to see a big boat factory in Salisbury named Taylor Boats. We already have a boat factory in Greenville... Grady White.

No foolin Brad,you build a beautiful boat and there is definitely a market as David and others have shown to those of us who are "build challenged".
Thanks for posting,
Harry

Brad, Your boats just keep getting better and better and better....!!!! I love all the well thought out details and craftsmanship.

Charlie, greatly appreciated. I work real hard to improve on each one, each time I think this is it and the next one is a little more polished. Makes my original boat look like a dog :)

One day would love to see a big boat factory in Salisbury named Taylor Boats. We already have a boat factory in Greenville... Grady White.

No foolin Brad,you build a beautiful boat and there is definitely a market as David and others have shown to those of us who are "build challenged".
Thanks for posting,
Harry

Thanks Harry. One day I'd love to be doing it full time, I love teaching middle schoolers but the bureaucracy of it really sucks at times. However, I am thankful I have a job and that the good Lord has blessed me with the ability to do a little work with wood too :)

Brad

Back