Layout blinds

Capt. Jack Passie

I've never gunned out of a Layout Blind but next season in a couple of new fields I'm going to have too. Can the dog fit in there with me? What do I do with Gus ?

I've never gunned out of a Layout Blind but next season in a couple of new fields I'm going to have too. Can the dog fit in there with me? What do I do with Gus ?

Jack,

There are several makers of field blinds for dogs. That would be your best option for your dog. As far as what you do with Gus,,,,,,, make him buy his own dang blind!! :>) :>)

ps. Yes, I know Gus is your dog.

my foot area zips open on my blind if you have a smaller dog he could lay in that area
my dogs about 85 pounds and he fits but it is pretty tight.
the dog huts go from around 60 to 100 dollars.

if you can get him to stay in the blind with you thats what i would do (good luck) if you go with dog blind mutt hut 2 is nice
make shure you look at one first to make shure he's going to fit some are really small whatever you do get one early so you can
get the dog pleanty of practice if you can i'd practice shooting out of the layout it takes some getting used to good luck

I have hunted my labs in the foot of the bag. One problem is you are gunning right on top of your dog. the other is the blind gets pretty messy if your hunting a muddy cow pie field. Depending on how big your dog is you can hide them along side the blind ,or get a mute hut. I have a hard core,I like it ,front and rear doors so you can get them in easy. I used a piece of burlap for a long time i don't think the dog ever spooked the Geese. Or put a pair of wing waver's on him and let the dog be your motion decoy.

I picked the hard core up from Rogers spring truck load sale . It shouldn't be long before it starts

Hi Jack,
I would make one for him, it doesn't have to be fancy and elaborate
I'd think just a good piece of camo material, pegged at 4 corners with a
center rod or post so he can enter and leave.

Captn; for my chessie and now my partners lab I use an old vari kennel. I use the bottom of one that allows the dog to lay down in,ie. he fits, and the top of a smaller model - height has lower profile. Then cut the top 1/2 back about 3 inches and use bungees chords to hold the top onto the bottom and stuff field vegetation, corn stalk, hay et cetera til the vari kennel is invisible. I bring a small entrenching shovel to dig out a depression to lower the profile of the kennel even more. For transport to and from truck the top fits nicely into the bottom and the whole unit is easily dragged out to your spot with a double ended leash. It carries our blind bags and dog gear. Keeps the dog safe, dry and out of the way. Also he is usually already used to a vari kennel and takes readily to using it in the field, just like he did at home. You can even start him at home during the off season.
We position him slightly behind our blinds and centered which protects his hearing and allows him to mark the falling geese relatively easily.

Picked up the kennels at a yard sale for 5 bucks ea.

Best - Paul

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. Ican see this is going to be a learing process for both Gus and myself. I can see alot of practice time this summer.

Jack,
I have a ground force dog blind that I use. I normally put the dog blind right behind my layout blind by my head offset to one side a bit so my dog can see. Training your dog not to break is a good idea for safety sake. Mike

I had purchased the Rig 'em Right dog blind. But then I was worried I wouldn't be able to hide it well from the weary Canadian Honkers. So I deceided to put her in the layout blind with me. It wasn't to hard to train her to stay in the layout.
I basically laid in the layout blind, then had her sit in there with me, and gave her praise. Then threw a bumber, and sent her. I did this a few times. Then next step was to have her sit then lay down. Then praise & a treat. And again send her on a retreive (bumper), a few times. Then the next step is to get in it laying down & close the blind, etc..
With each step, start for a short period of time, and slowly extend it..
There is enough room for both of us, and I have a 80lb heated blanket.. Hope this helps..
-Jay

I care too much for my dog to even consider having him in the footbag of a layout blind with the muzzle blast of a shotgun right over him.

That being said, a separate blind for the dog is the way to go. Get one now and set it up in your living room and have him go into it with the "kennel" command.

Once he is comforatable in it start doing some training with him working from the blind. We even shoot flyer pigeons while training with the dogs out of layout blinds.

With regular training by the time the season rolls around your dog should be comfortable and confident working out of his own blind.

Having Gus along side of me would deffietly be nice on a cold day, but I think he's just too damm bug for he two of us to fit. Gus weighs in at 105 and he is slim for a Chesapeake. I think I'm goig toget a blind just for him and get to work

I use an Avery ultra low dog hide. My biggest dog can easily be concealed. When using a layout blind my dog (in the hide) is either right behind me or in certain situations placed remotely. It is safer placed in back, off to the side or remotely. Also, doing this regularly reduces the issues of "muzzle blast". Of course when the dog is not "right on top of you", being steady may be more of a challenge.

"Daisy" - layout, late winter goose hunt
xDaisysTwoGeeseD.jpg

xgoosesetuptotal.jpg

"Gunny" - remote hide, layout, "walk-in" hunt
3WEBGunnyCloseUpFinalCR.jpg

"Gunny" - Mississippi River layout hunt
GunnysBigDay.jpg

"Taffey" - remote hide, six duck day
WEBTaffeyHideCloserSharperCW.jpg

"Taffey" - remote hide, pond goose hunt

--------

Last edited:
Jack,

For years now I have hunted with my large lab (90 lbs dry) in the layout blind with me. While I have a blind with the zipper by the feet I have never liked that option. Rather Austin lays behind me with his head on my right side. I even hunt the both of us out of a GHG Ground Force which is a rather small blind.

Benefits of having dog in the blind with you:
Dont have to grass in and hide another blind. The less blinds in a field the better no matter what the cover.
Dog is behind you at all times and you have fairly good control of whether he breaks or not.
No movement from the dog can be seen by birds.
Warmth on cold days. Sounds dumb but it really helps.
On carry in days no need for the extra weight of a dog blind

Downfalls:
If the dog does break he is likey to hit you while you are shooting, takes a lot of work to make them not break I am still working on this.
Dog doesnt have quite as good a view of downed birds but I have yet to have major issues.
Lots more mud in the blind and wet dog in flooded fields.

In my mind simply the fact of not having another profile out there improves my chances and is worth having him in there with me. If I were to get one I would get the GHG low ground force. My buddy has a regular ground force and even though my dog is large it is way to big in my mind, height wise. I know a lot of guys that hunt with them and in good corn stubble I dont see it being a major issue. But hunting plowed corn fields and low cut wheat that we have Ill take as least many profiles as possible.

I agree with you Jack. Bella is on my side and not directly below the muzzle. And where I hunt, I too, don't want another profile/shadow for weary birds to pick out.

I just got back from Snow Goose hunting with a guide. When I asked him if bringing my dog was an option, he said to make sure she was concealed. During the hunt, he used only 6 layout blinds. So keeping her in it was perfect. He didn't like using more than 6 due to the problem of hiding them. So a dog blind wouldn't have worked on that trip..

I just ordered two layouts and I guess I'l try it with Gus and me at firsrt. Just to see his reaction to being in such a confined space. If I cant see that working I'll move on to a dog blind. Years ao when I used to gun the bay, I never saw my dogs ever flair a bird tolling in. In fact I felt their movement actually helped, But in a field with geese its a different ball game. Never having hunted out of a layout I'm not sure that they are going to work around here. We have a lot of pressure on the birds. And the fact of the matter is I'M OLD and like hunting out of my pits It's going to be an expeareance the first time I give it a try. I hope I'm up to the challange.

Capt. I too hunt out on the east end of LI. I haven't had the pleasure of hunting out of a pit. But it is pretty cool when the birds are right on top of you.. But just another suggestion? Maybe buy a dog blind as well? That way you can work Gus in both the layout out with you, and the dog blind as well. That way you have both bases covered. If you are comfortable with him in the layout with you, or not. And if you are in a situtation where you can hide both layout & dog blinds..? Plus it will give a little more time having fun training with your best friend...

Back