LAYOUT BOAT BUILDING PLANS

Jimmy Z

I'm trying to build a traditional layout boat. Like the pumpkin seed " Lake Erie" style layout. I'm in the process of gathering up plans to build my dream boat. I also have to stay within a budget (wife) with my new project. Is there anyone out there that has a set of plans there not using or is willing to separate with them at a reasonable cost. I would truly appreciate anybodys help!

Your friend in waterfowling,
JZ

Jimmy,
You really need to ......... kinda.........introduce yourself. You just registered 2 days ago and on your first post....well, you're asking for a "deal"....unless I'm missing something here. Probably would be a good idea to pull back the curtain and let us know who you are, where you're from....etc. There's no info in your profile.
But then, that's just MHO.
Lou

If you are looking at the Lake Erie style boat, you should price a kit from Lou and compare it to the time and cost of building from a plan. An all glass boat has a lot of +'s about it.

Lou, sorry for not introducing my self. My name is Jim and I live in Rochester, NY. I am the Chairmen for the Upstate NY chapter of Delta Waterfowl. Most of my time is devoted to hunting,watching and introducing youth or first time hunters to waterfowl. I 'm lucky enough to live on the mighty Great Lake of Ontario. The Finger Lakes of Western NY are within an hours drive from here. I'm a true diver duck addict. There's just something about the beauty and speed of the diver ducks that make them special over the puddle ducks. Most of my hunting is done from shore blinds that I have set up across NY. But I have always wanted some layout boats in my arsenal. There's nothing better than having a Can or Bluebill dive bombing you at 10 yds. in the middle of the lake. I have always been jealous of the guys out there in the layouts. I do have good success form shore, but I'm looking for a change. I hope this tells you a little about my self. I'm happy I found this forum. I did not know about this until the other day. It looks like a great place to get information and share knowledge.

Jim

Lou, sorry for not introducing my self. My name is Jim and I live in Rochester, NY. I am the Chairmen for the Upstate NY chapter of Delta Waterfowl. Most of my time is devoted to hunting,watching and introducing youth or first time hunters to waterfowl. I 'm lucky enough to live on the mighty Great Lake of Ontario. The Finger Lakes of Western NY are within an hours drive from here. I'm a true diver duck addict. There's just something about the beauty and speed of the diver ducks that make them special over the puddle ducks. Most of my hunting is done from shore blinds that I have set up across NY. But I have always wanted some layout boats in my arsenal. There's nothing better than having a Can or Bluebill dive bombing you at 10 yds. in the middle of the lake. I have always been jealous of the guys out there in the layouts. I do have good success form shore, but I'm looking for a change. I hope this tells you a little about my self. I'm happy I found this forum. I did not know about this until the other day. It looks like a great place to get information and share knowledge.

Jim

Jimmy,
Welcome aboard. Pull up a chair, pour yourself a cup of coffee and join in. You'll like it here. Great place with outstanding people.
Ya gotta love a Canvasback coming at you at 60 mph, 2 feet off the water. :)
Thanks for the intro, glad to see you're so involved in waterfowling, let's have some fun.
Lou

www.lockstockbarrell.com

Hi Jimmy,

Welcome. I'm across the lake in VT.

The only plans I've heard about are the Busick (maybe Paul Busick?) plans, and I think that the design was sold to one of the boat companies that is going to make it in glass.

I think a lot of plans are usually sold as single use, sort of like a software license. Once you build a boat with them, they are not legally usable by anyone else. Not sure if the Busick layout plans are like that, never seen them myself.

You may be able to find a set of Busick plans out there. Sometimes guys buy them with the best of intentions and end up not using them (i did that with BBIII plans and also Kara plans).

Oh, I think there are some knockoff plans out there, but caveat emptor on those.

If that doesn't work out, or you want to save the 100 hrs of labor, you can buy layouts from The Mighty Layout Boys (Mark Rongers), Lock Stock and Barrell (Lou Tisch), Bankes (Ron Bankes?), and others. Canvasbacks of the St. Lawrence (David Clark) also has a new style that may not even be in full production yet.

Charlie

Back