Layout Hunting

Dani

Gold Sponsor
Well I went on my very first REAL layout hunt on big water in a layout boat. We went out on the St. Johns and since I've never hunted the layout boat before, I had first dibs. The boys made the layout boat and for whatever reason it sits high in the water unless you are Todd or weigh as much as Todd. Anyway, we got out there in the soupy fog and set out a few decoys. Not many since birds were flying and lines weren't long enough to touch bottom. After the boys left, I had to go chase down five decoys that were trying to get away while birds were trying to land in the dekes. Anyway, I had a pretty good time. I had some pretty decent sized groups come and take a look and almost land, but they'd get on the sun side of me and see the shadow from the layout boat not sitting right in the water and off they'd go. But it was fun. I did get a bluebill, but mostly was slow shooting. But fun.

IMG_3544.jpg

How we got out there

IMG_3552.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

Dani,

Is that a Shorthair in the boat or an illusion caused by the sun? Although the flatbottom looks to be a narrow 14ft boat can you tell me the size of the boat and Scavenger motor they use?

Thanks,

Ed L.

It's Todd's dog. Todd is on the left and the other fellow is James. I think the motor is 9 horse, but I may be wrong.

Hitch

Ed-

That indeed is a shorthair. She is such a priss too. Her name is Gretta. She is Todd's dog and I think she's finally beginning to get duck hunting. The motor is a 7 HP Scavenger and from what I understand a Snowblower motor, though what brand I don't know. It is finally working correctly, so far. The boat is a narrow 14 ft jon boat. I'm a little leary of being in it with those two. It gets pretty loaded down. But, we take it slow and easy. We need a 2 man layout boat :)

Cool...We had a Shorthair named Fraulien when I was in high school. I know what you mean about priss. She was a high stepper when we'd pheasant hunt in a marshy area. It was like she didn't like her little paws getting all wet!. I'll tell you one thing though, that little dog would damn near turn inside out when she went on point. She sometimes would look like she's playing twister but she'd hold until you got to her and flushed the bird.

We found out by accident one day while pheasant hunting how good a duck dog they can be. I knocked down a woodie along a small river we were hunting. She never hesitated and hit the water as good as any lab and retrieved that duck. After that she pulled double duty quit a bit.

How does Todd like the Scavenger? Does a 7 hp get you though the weeds okay in that boat? I've been looking for pods that will fit a 1440 flatbottom but so far everything I've found is for a 1448 and custom pods are pricey. I tried a 16hp on mine but it sits to low in the water for my liking. I'm not sure I can find a light enough motor that will work worth a hoot.

Ed L.

Back