Lets see your Blinds for a BBIII or BBII

John L

I have a BBIII that is going to the canvas shop on Monday. I have a good idea of what I will be doing but I'm always interested in seeing some fresh ideas. At the moment I'm going to go with the same basic design and features that were on my last boat.
The areas I hunt are mostly low profile salt marshs. Although I like the TDB style blinds they are a bit tall for what I'm looking for. So, post up some photos and lets see whats out there.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob,

I was hoping to see what kind of creativity is out there. I know I can't be the only guy that wants to keep a low profile. I have already drawn up the plans for a similar system to what was on my last boat but with a few small changes. We will have to see if anyone steps up with a better mouse trap. I have searched every thread I can find on the net and have not found much. I was kind of surprized. I thought there would have been more discussion on the topic.

well I'll be looking because it I cant find a "new" idea Im just gonna do the 13' like a South Bay

Small spray shield and grass doors like on the factory South Bay boats?

I have been toying with the idea of canvas grass doors made of bimini tubing that has holes with spring loaded stops in it so the doors can be extended or shortened as disired. There are plenty of times I don't want them and of course times when I will. I was thinking that if I made them from canvas with grass straps they can collapse down to half the height but that may still be to much. The cockpit on the BBIII is 47 1/2" wide which would require 1/2 that measurement to cover the cockpit if I want to lay them flat to have total coverage with the lowest profile. I don't want doors that will be 2' high. Even at 1' thats more than I would like. So thinking a bit more brings me to telescopic poles for the door uprights, humm. It's amazing how much time one can spend on the "little things" like a dodgers, spray shields and blinds. Coming down the home stretch just got a little farther away....

John... my boat has grass flaps and when both doors are closed there is about 10-12 inches between them, just enough to stick my head through. Keep in mind that you will be extending the grass past the "top" of the doors, meaning that when both are flat, there will be two layers of grass obscuring the 10-12 inch gap between the doors. You can also find a way to keep the doors at an angle, so you have a "grass teepee" to hide under, although I prefer to lay as flat as possible.

Yeah I dont want to make the new boat too high either....the hull is high enough..Since the puppy is not ready to hunt this season I might just use it as a tender for this season and hunt out of my Momarsh again.Nothing hides like that thing but thats only if I dont find something that I like to hide the 13'.
Everything is happing all at once so Im feeling a little rushed LOL

John... my boat has grass flaps and when both doors are closed there is about 10-12 inches between them, just enough to stick my head through. Keep in mind that you will be extending the grass past the "top" of the doors, meaning that when both are flat, there will be two layers of grass obscuring the 10-12 inch gap between the doors. You can also find a way to keep the doors at an angle, so you have a "grass teepee" to hide under, although I prefer to lay as flat as possible.

Chris,

I understand about the gap but I was looking to eliminate the gap so it would also serve as a cockpit cover when its raining. I know I'm trying to incorporate a lot into it's use as a blind / cockpit cover when the weather turn bad. I have gotten spoiled with my last boat. It didn't matter what the weather, I was always warm and dry.

what about doing something "hybrid" John? How about a dodger at the bow end of the cockpit and canvas/bimini tubing grass flaps for the rest? This way your head would be under the dodger, but your lower torso and legs would be under the grass flaps.

what about doing something "hybrid" John? How about a dodger at the bow end of the cockpit and canvas/bimini tubing grass flaps for the rest? This way your head would be under the dodger, but your lower torso and legs would be under the grass flaps.

That is the direction I plan on going at the moment

So with no other fresh ideas I decided to go with a modified dodger / spray shield like I had on my last boat and I'll add some doors or blind of some type when the dodger is done.
The frame work is standard 7/8" marine grade aluminium tubing and hardware. I made this frame with a little more rake from the front to the top of the dodger and made the bows more rounded than the last top. It wil have the same functions as the last top serving as full dodger in the full up position

dodgerframe2.jpg

then it can folded down to be just a spray shield. The canvas will attach to the hull using the flexible awning track with a zipper and canvas / velcro cover to protect the zipper from freezing so it can be easily opened and closed regardless of weather conditions. This will leave me with plenty of dry storage on the dash area and I also left a little room on the sides so small items can be stored between the canvas cockpit coaming.

dodgerframe1.jpg

I'll post some additional photos when the canvas work is done.

John,

Did you build some kind of mandrel to bend your hoops. They look really clean with no flat spots.

Ed ,
The tubing was bent on a jig. It the only way to get clean uniform bends. I have tried using electrical conduit benders. They get the job doe but not a nice.

Bob,

It's a bit lower than the boat you were on. I did love that dodger. That's why I stayed with the same basic design, just a few small improvements. It's 20" tall from the top of the cockpit coaming, 37" from the cockpit floor. I still have enough room to sit straight up. 50" wide and the base which is a few inches wider than the cockpit itself. That gives me 3 1/2" on the outside of the cockpit coaming for additional dry storage to use as a shelf and 52" long at it's longest point. It still large but with the ability to drop it down to a spray shield and all the way down so it's flush with the deck it should work out well. Next is to come up with the blind system. I'm still thinking about some type of canvas doors that can be grassed and are retractable in some manner. I want to be able to keep the profile no higher than the cockpit coaming when needed and have a full blind when thats needed.
I'm installing the depthfinder / chartplotter in it tonight.

Back