Long Shaft or Short Shaft Outboard for Scaup?

Jeff H

Back on track to build the Scaup!

I've got the frame for the portable garage up already then I'll cover it. Build the support structure, then start scarfing... but a few questions are coming to mind.

Do I go with a long shaft or a short shaft outboard? I've read that I should have the motor on hand when building to make chages as necessary which is why I'm bringing it up at this point.

I'm a bit confused by the material list. Bottom and side panels (2) sheets of 3/4" 4' x 24' marine plywood ((6) 3/8" 4' x 8') The bottom and side panels are 3/8" aren't they?

On the 24' topic...Do I have to scarf the three 8' pieces together or can I just scarf 4' onto the end of the two full sheets? On the lofting plans the overall length isn't even 17 feet - this should save one 4' x 8' piece of plywood shouldn't it?. Hmm, might need the extra sheet for the deck I guess...

Really looking forward to starting the build - My fourteen year old son is helping me and hopefully my ten year old daughter will want to help too.

A number of you have already helped (when I thought we'd start last year) and the help is very much appreciated.

Take care all.

Regards,

Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff I would be asking David Clark on here he seems to be the authority when it comes to these type of boats and depending how far you are from the boarder he's just over it in Clayton NY and I see he is offering boat building classes and he seems to always be forth coming with answers,,,,,Chuck

Thanks for the feedback Chuck.

Oh, I see you replied to my other post too...I'm just over in Oshawa...almost neighbours.

Regards,

Jeff

Back